Tango & Cash UK BD Uncut status: Hold?

A selection of threads which are no longer active but which we feel are of significant value to keep.

Moderator: Forum Team

Tango & Cash UK BD Uncut status: Hold?

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 13 May 2011 13:47

Hi! Does anyone know if the UK BD of "Tango & Cash" is uncut or not ?
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Tango & Cash UK BD Uncut status

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 16 May 2011 10:18

It is said to be uncut (along with the 18-rated DVD, as was the 18-rated film)
http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/hitst.htm
The problem was to get a 15-rating (16 in Germany).
UK only required 43s of cuts but Germany 2 mins.
The UK VHS has 43s of cuts but it is not clear which "cut"
was used for the DVD release (there may have been two 15's) :-?
The Prof.

"Long live the new flesh."
Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby HunterBFH » 03 Jun 2011 21:15

There are two different version..The 18 cert.which I believe was the uncut version for first video release but later releases were the cut version and carried with 15 cert. Should've got that 18 cert.video version.

BTW according to the reviewer from Play (.com) he/she says its uncut! HERE!
Works for me!

HunterBFH

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 04 Jun 2011 22:14

BBFC say it is uncut. I think the cuts are not the problem and are now basically a footnote.
The problem is not having the specs for the uncut UK and cut & uncut German DVDs.
The current UK entry implies 2 different cuts/15's, whether this is a mistake or
the German cut was also released on UK DVD at some point...
If we had the UK 18 specs then I would just footnote "also released cut rated 15 - avoid",
and not worry about details. :wink:
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Leigh_Riding » 16 Jul 2011 19:39

HMV have re-released Tango & Cash on DVD, now uncut. It's obviously not snapper case, but it's easy to mix the discs up as they are the same as the old cut discs. I would advise to not buy second hand just in case
Leigh_Riding

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 16 Jul 2011 22:26

HMV have re-released Tango & Cash on DVD, now uncut.

Do you have the DVD/specs?
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Leigh_Riding » 16 Jul 2011 23:54

Yes I do, and the disc inside is in the same style as all the early Warner discs, eg black font on a silver disc. It has the same specs as the original UK version sound and subtitle options, but no trailer or production notes. It is an older print though, because the menu set up is the same as the earliest Warner Discs, which all had a specific menu setup. Precise runtime is 99:32, box states 100 mins.

Now, as far as I know, there were two, possibly three UK versions circulated, one with none of the bbfc cuts (which I believe was accidentally authored and withdrawn, which is most likely this version we are talking now), and the re-submitted disc with cuts intact. Won't be the first time it's happened; Universal did the same mistake with True Lies and Streetfighter. Long winded but there you go.
Leigh_Riding

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 17 Jul 2011 13:49

This disc is labelled "18", correct!?

I'm guessing that the 43s of BBFC cuts to the film (101:59->101:16) were in addition to "pre-cuts" of a minute
or more since the BBFC listed 15-rated DVD runtime 97:11 PAL corresponds to the cinema version, as cut.
There may have been different packaging labelling runtimes but there is no obvious evidence for
two different 15-rated DVD runtimes.

The 18-rated DVD runtime of 99:32 PAL corresponds to 103:41 which is the exact same runtime as
the R1 disc (which I own).

I'll try and revise the entry. :-?
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Leigh_Riding » 17 Jul 2011 14:15

Yes, it's an 18 rating again. I don't know where the two 15 runtimes came from, posibly in my head from the notes on the tango & Cash page on here. The sole cut re-issue was definitely a 15, though
Leigh_Riding

Postby HunterBFH » 01 Sep 2011 22:53

Leigh_Riding wrote:Yes I do, and the disc inside is in the same style as all the early Warner discs, eg black font on a silver disc. It has the same specs as the original UK version sound and subtitle options, but no trailer or production notes. It is an older print though, because the menu set up is the same as the earliest Warner Discs, which all had a specific menu setup. Precise runtime is 99:32, box states 100 mins.

Now, as far as I know, there were two, possibly three UK versions circulated, one with none of the bbfc cuts (which I believe was accidentally authored and withdrawn, which is most likely this version we are talking now), and the re-submitted disc with cuts intact. Won't be the first time it's happened; Universal did the same mistake with True Lies and Streetfighter. Long winded but there you go.
You got that right there LR! my fellow, Mark Meakin (MR DVD MARK here on this board) from WWDVDF did say the same thing there. :-D BTW, yes I found this in HMV in London the other day and is exactly the same cover as you said in your other post.
Works for me!

HunterBFH

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 10 Sep 2011 22:22

Can this one be closed? There is nothing more to say unless anyone comes up with concrete details for a distinct 3rd version of the UK DVD.
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Reference