Saw (2004) [Saw VI Blu-Ray Bonus Disc] ADDED

A selection of threads which are no longer active but which we feel are of significant value to keep.

Moderator: Forum Team

Saw (2004) [Saw VI Blu-Ray Bonus Disc] ADDED

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 10 Jun 2011 03:22

You already have the individual Blu-ray release for Saw listed on the page at http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=9640

I own the disc that was included as a bonus with the Saw 6 Blu-ray (http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=15981). I always assumed it was the same as the individual release, but all reviews and info I could find on that release states that it's the R-Rated Theatrical version, and I just learned that what's on the disc I own is the Uncut version. So, I'll err on the safe side and submit it as a new release. The details are first, followed by all of the proof and info I used to determine that the Saw Blu-Ray disc included with Saw 6 is the Uncut version.

Title: Saw (2004) [Saw VI Blu-Ray Bonus Disc]
Region: A [might be ALL, I have no way to confirm]
Distributor: Lions Gate
Case Type: Keep Case (Clear)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Anamorphic?: Yes
PAL or NTSC?: NTSC
Soundtracks: English 5.1 Dolby Digital EX, English 6.1 DTS ES
Subtitles (are they optional?): English, Spanish (optional)
Cuts: 1:42:46 - NTSC (Uncut Version)
Commentaries: None
Extras: None
Notes: Included as a bonus disc with the Saw VI "Unrated Director's Cut" Blu-ray release. In spite of it saying "US Rated R" on the disc face, it is indeed the Uncut version - as noted by the runtime and the changes noted at http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2176.
Easter Eggs: None
Source: Disc I Own

* You might want to also include a note on the Saw VI Blu-ray page that the bonus disc in the US Lions Gate release is the Uncut version of Saw.

I decided to do a quick comparison of the three U.S. Releases of Saw (2004) that I own. First, here are the runtimes for all three copies of the movie:

1:43:07 - Theatrical (R-Rated) DVD (Region 1, U.S. Release)
1:42:41 - Uncut Edition DVD (Region 1, U.S. Release)
1:42:46 - Blu-Ray (included with Saw 6) (Region A, U.S. Release)

Right away this told me that the Blu-ray was probably NOT the Theatrical version. Once I bought the Uncut Edition DVD, that pretty much confirmed that the Blu-ray was the Uncut version. Not content on just going by the runtimes, I decided to take things a step further and check all three versions for the changes listed at http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2176. (I could have also played all three versions simultaneously, but I figured that would be overkill right now. Maybe at a later date I'll do that for my own curiosity.)

It should be noted that the timecodes listed on the Movie Censorship site are from PAL copies (it's mentioned that UK and German DVDs were used), as they don't match up with the three NTSC copies I have. That made things incredibly annoying as I had to do a little searching to find the spots mentioned on the site. Luckily, I found all the spots I need to, and actually compiled my own list of changes. This list, which appears below (feel free to move this post to the "Reference" section later on so it can be kept for posterity), contains the timecodes from the NTSC DVDs and Blu-Ray, and the notes have been completely rewritten by me to be more accurate and easier to identify. I also included a change or two that wasn't on the Movie Censorship site. There may be more changes, especially in the music replacement, but I don't know for sure as I didn't go through the whole movie.

In every instance of a change listed at the Movie Censorship site, the Blu-ray matches the Uncut DVD, and both are different than the Theatrical DVD. For some reason, the Theatrical DVD is about 20-25 seconds longer than the Blu-ray and Uncut DVD. I'll probably have to watch them all simultaneously to find out why that is. Still, since the Blu-ray matches the Uncut DVD on all change points noted, and the runtimes are near-identical (there's only a five second difference between them), I can confidently say that the Blu-Ray included with Saw 6 is the Uncut version of the movie - in spite of it saying "US Rated R" on the disc face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2:52 US RATED, 2:52 US UNCUT (website says 2:45)
After Adam and Dr. Gordon notice the corpse on the floor, there's a spiraling zoom-out shot of the body. In the Theatrical version, this is immediately followed by a close-up of the tape recorder in its hand. In the Uncut version, a close-up of the body's bloody head is inserted before the tape recorder close-up.

17:04 US RATED, 17:08 US UNCUT (website says 16:24)
After Detective Kerry (Dina Meyer) says that "he cut himself so deep, we found traces of stomach acid on the floor", there are a few quick shots of the body in the barbed wire. In the Theatrical version, there's a close-up of his hand and a shot of the whole body hanging there. The Uncut version adds color/black-and-white shots of the upper part of the body and a close-up of a gaping wound, along with the other two shots from the Theatrical version.

18:07 US RATED, 18:12 US UNCUT (website says 17:23)
The really intense time-lapse sequence, in which the naked man tries to escape the barbed-wired cage, is much longer in the Uncut version (about twice as long). Nothing can be seen really due to the increasing speed of the screen sequence, but the intensity of the shock effect increases drastically.

18:16 US RATED, 18:26 US UNCUT (website says 17:33)
When Detective Sing (Ken Leung) shines his flashlight on the victim, the wound on the back is on screen a little longer in the Uncut version. This is immediately followed by a series of quick shots. Within these shots is the first difference in color: One of the wounds is presented in black and white in the Uncut version, while it's in color in the Theatrical version. Also, the wound is on screen for a longer period of time in the Uncut version.

18:40 US RATED, 18:50 US UNCUT (website says 17:56)
A few more fast inserts of the corpse in the barbed wire and some wounds were added to the Uncut version. The last picture of the sequence, before it changes to the second crime scene with the burned corpse, is again presented in black and white in the Uncut version, while the picture remains colored in the Theatrical version.

27:01 US RATED, 27:13 US UNCUT (website says 26:01)
Amanda (Shawnee Smith), with the reversed bear trap on her head, stabs the man on the floor, who has the key inside his stomach. She stabs him five times total in the Theatrical version (three times before a Dr. Gordon reaction shot insert), six times in the Uncut version (four times before a Dr. Gordon reaction shot insert).

27:30 US RATED, 27:43 US UNCUT (website says 26:23)
Amanda (Shawnee Smith) is remembering rummaging through the man's guts for the key. In the uncut version she is seen four times with guts in her hands, while in the Theatrical version she is only shown two times. The last "guts" shot in both versions shows her finding the key.

1:30:10 US RATED, 1:30:27 US UNCUT (website says 1:26:28)
As Dr. Gordon is sawing off his own foot, two *additional* shots of the doctor with his shirt in his mouth, and a shot of the sawing itself, have been removed in the Theatrical version. Please note, there are a few shots of the doctor with the shirt in his mouth, and the sawing, so you actually have to watch each version shot-for-shot to see exactly what's been cut. Also, the last two shots - the doctor with the shirt in this mouth, and Adam bending over in agony at watching the whole affair - have been swapped in each version. Theatrical shows the doctor then Adam, Uncut shows Adam then the doctor. Afterwards we cut to Zep in the sewer tunnels.

1:30:33 US RATED, 1:31:02 US UNCUT (website says 1:26:54)
After Detective Tapp (Danny Glover) has smashed Zep against the grate/fence in the sewers, we see another shot of Dr. Gordon sawing. In the Uncut version this shot is about a second longer than in the Theatrical version.

1:39:04 US RATED, 1:38:56 US UNCUT
The song "Bite The Hand That Bleeds" by Fear Factory that plays over the end credits of the Theatrical version, has been replaced on the Uncut version with an original piece of music by Charlie Clouser entitled "Zepp Overature".
(source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387564/alternateversions)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul_Rudoff

Re: Saw (2004) [Saw VI Blu-Ray Bonus Disc]

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 18 Jun 2011 01:13

If you want me to provide some proof that the info I submitted is true, please let me know what you want as proof. I was rather surprised to find out that what was on the Saw 6 bonus disc was the Uncut version of Saw 1, especially since it says "US R" on the disc face. I'll be more than happy to do anything I can do to help spread my findings.
Paul_Rudoff

Re: Saw (2004) [Saw VI Blu-Ray Bonus Disc] ADDED

Postby Samuel_Scott » 21 Jun 2011 15:23

Thanks Paul. :-D
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Paul_Rudoff » 24 Jun 2011 21:30

You're quite welcome. And a big thanks to the guys who run the Movie-Censorship.com site for providing a quick and easy way to compare the Blu-Ray with the R-Rated and Uncut DVDs that I have without having to watch all three simultaneously. The Blu-ray runtime indicated that it probably wasn't the R-Rated cut, but actually checking it for the changes mentioned on the site confirmed it for me.
Paul_Rudoff

Postby Samuel_Scott » 25 Jun 2011 12:59

Moving to reference...
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Return to Reference