In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Samuel_Scott » 18 Aug 2016 15:13

Pete's Dragon - Well aren't Disney doing some fun live action films that being sorely understated this year (this and The BFG)? This shows that not all remakes are bad, and this is a very strong update of an older Disney property. Bryce Dallas Howard was superb, and I didn't hate the child actors, but it was Robert Redford's performance that was the best here. A very solid outing. 8/10

Unfortunately, cinema was only showing this one in 2D. :evil:
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Aug 2016 11:58

David Brent: Life on the Road - If you're a fan of the original UK version of The Office, then you'll like this. The character doesn't quite hold up to feature length, but it ends before becoming too tiresome. Overall, I enjoyed it and would recommend it to fans of Gervais. 3.5/5
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Aug 2016 22:17

Lights Out - Rather generic horror with plenty of jump scares. The hook gets a little tedious though. 3/5

Bad Moms - Expectations were low, but this female comedy without Melissa McCarthy or any other usual suspects clicked surprisingly well with some genuinely funny dialogue. Hahn owned it. 3.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 31 Aug 2016 19:40

War Dogs - Entertaining with some rather funny moments. Todd Phillips has finally moved on from his usual safe brand of comedy, and Teller and Hill put in typical performances. 3.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 01 Sep 2016 20:24

The Purge: Election Year - Best in the series so far, but still plenty of room for improvement. The series has such a great idea behind it, but never takes advantage of going somewhere fresh. Still, the ending here did leave room for a sequel that could certainly go in a different direction. 2.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Sep 2016 22:48

Morgan - The assembled cast includes favourites of mine like Toby Jones, Michelle Yeoh and Jennifer Jason Leigh, but unfortunately the film can be a little dull at times before coming back for a decent final act. I managed to guess the ending about halfway through, and I didn't like the way that allegedly very smart characters suddenly became rather dumb, but this is worth a watch IMO, and a cheap buy when it comes out. 3/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 07 Sep 2016 19:13

Ben-Hur - The leads are pretty awful, the story is overlong and contrived, and a lot of it just didn't click. However, the action set-pieces were decent, especially the ship battle and the final chariot race. It's not good, but could have been worse. 2/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 14 Sep 2016 11:58

I've had a busy week, but finally got to catch Don't Breathe last night which was surprisingly good. Beforehand, I thought the trailer had shown way too much, but there are lots of twists and turns and just the right amount of jump scares / brutality. One of the surprises of the year so far IMO. 4/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Sep 2016 20:21

Sausage Party - All the good bits were in the trailer in all honesty. Was a little disappointed at how lame and cheap the jokes were, despite expecting very low brow humour. The cast/crew are better than this. Also, screw Sony. I was going to not see this because they didn't pay the animators properly, but I buckled as I had two hours in town to kill before viewing the film below... 3/5

Blair Witch - I like Adam Wingard. You're Next and The Guest were both really fun films which felt quite refreshing. Although Blair Witch does have some enjoyable moments, and is better than most lost footage films, it just felt like too much of a retread of the original film. 3/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 24 Sep 2016 18:23

Sully - Clint Eastwood continues to knock it out the park, this film is understated and subtle. Tom Hanks delivers another solid performances in this tightly edited and well crafted film based on the actual "miracle on the Hudson" event. Worth seeing for sure 9/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 26 Sep 2016 19:32

The Magnificent Seven - Some good actions scenes, light humour at all the right times, a great ensemble cast, and likeable characters. A solid 3.5/5

The Girl with All the Gifts - One of the better zombie films in recent memory. The ending seems to be quite polarising and unfortunately, the last twenty minutes didn't work for me. I hope it tracks well at the box office though, as it deserves to. 3.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 02 Oct 2016 18:30

The Birth of a Nation - Powerful doesn't really begin to describe this film, it's message is universal and issues of race are still evidently a problem today. Nate Parker does triple duty here as writer, director, and star of the film and does a terrific job in each category. It's a solid drama, that's in equal parts horrific and equal parts moving. There where some problems, some performances weren't as good as they could have been and I really didn't like the way the film was shot, opting for a clean digital look doesn't do this era justice. Otherwise it's worth seeing, 8/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 03 Oct 2016 18:50

Deepwater Horizon - Some absolutely stunning set pieces, and a supporting cast better than the main. If you like disaster movies and true stories, then this is certainly worth watching. 3.5/5

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Boring. Boring. Boring. Forgettable. 2/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Oct 2016 13:44

The Girl on the Train - Emily Blunt is a convincing alcoholic, and Alison Janney is always great, but the film lacked tightness and I figured out "whodunnit" far too quickly (not read the book or any spoilers). 3/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 10 Oct 2016 17:46

Manchester by the Sea - This festival darling has been doing the rounds recently to rave critical reviews, it's a sad story but told with a lot of heart and the occasional bit of humour. Casey Affleck delivers a fantastic performance in this sombre little film about returning home, a place that's filled with traumatic memories only to look after Patrick, his recently dead brothers' kid. The two learn about each other as they try to navigate a life. 8/10.

The Rehearsal - A New Zealand film about a young acting school student who uses his girlfriend's sister's scandal as the basis for the end of year play. She was involved with her tennis instructor, the underaged encounter led to media attention. Aside from some fine performances from a young cast, the film plays out a little pretentious and nothing is less interesting than a film about a bunch of young actors finding their voice. 4/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 17 Oct 2016 00:06

The Accountant - Critics are sitting on the fence about this one with 50% rating on rottentomatoes and I can see why. The film tries to be more clever than it actually is, twisting the plot, characters, and motivations and most of them you can see coming. There's moments of brilliance but the film really lacks electricity at times and meanders away. Affleck however actually delivers a decent performance as an autistic accountant with impressive skills, the supporting actors play their part, Anna Kendrick does her usual nice girl schtick and Jon Bernthal doesn't stray too far from his grizzled badass self. It had moments but not enough to sustain itself from falling apart. 5/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Oct 2016 14:47

Noor_Razzak wrote:The Accountant - . 5/10.

Disappointing to hear as I'm really looking forward to this one. Think it hits here in a fortnight.

Inferno - I thought it was alright, but the plot twists dull and could be seen coming a mile away. I'll be a little generous as I really liked some of the concepts. If you enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, you'll probably enjoy this enough. I was just left wanting something more attention grabbing 3/5.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Oct 2016 13:47

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - Yawn. A dull disappointment with mediocre set pieces and a poorly written script. Decent supporting cast though I guess. Was really looking forward to this one as I enjoyed the first. 2/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 31 Oct 2016 15:50

Doctor Strange - Visually stunning and I was expecting to find this hard to watch as I'm not a fan of Cumberbatch. As it is, I can't imagine anyone else in the role. 4/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 07 Nov 2016 00:54

Doctor Strange - Loved it, visually stunning film for the MCU, Cumberbatch was a solid choice for the character although I felt that he was channeling a bit of Tony Stark... the film suffers from the usual Marvel villain problem - set up as a near-unstoppable force only to be defeated easily. Otherwise it was a fun trip, 8/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion