Grease 1978 (all releases past 1998) UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Grease 1978 (all releases past 1998) UPDATED

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 15 Aug 2017 17:34

All media releases (past 1998) of "Grease (1978)" have a heavily remixed soundtrack compared to its original theatrical release. The following is from IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077631/alt ... t_ql_trv_5
1998 theatrical re-release featured a heavily remixed soundtrack. Reverb and, in some cases, background vocals were added to many of the songs, and new sound effects were added in certain scenes. All DVD and Blu-ray releases feature only this remix.
All pre-1998 prints of the film feature the then-current Paramount logo with an orchestral rendition of "Love is a Many Splendored Thing." Post-1998 prints plaster this with the 1986-2003 Paramount Pictures logo with the Viacom byline and the "Paramount on Parade" fanfare.

I can also confirm this (on the UK VHS versions anyway) - I still have an old VHS copy (before 1998) and one from 1998 and there are definite minor differences to the soundtrack on and off all the way through the movie - including all the stuff mentioned above from IMDB. Also there's a bunch more information on IMDB that might be of some relevance.

Anyway, the current listings of Grease (DVD + Blu-Ray) here on DVDCOMPARE do not include any of this information, and I thought it would be important to make a note of this.
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Grease 1978 (all releases past 1998)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 22 Aug 2017 22:51

Updated the Blu-ray but need confirmation with the DVD. Some editions have an alternate 2.0 track and not sure if that is a downmix of the 5.1 or the original 1978 soundtrack.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Grease 1978 (all releases past 1998) UPDATED

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 23 Aug 2017 08:33

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:Updated the Blu-ray but need confirmation with the DVD. Some editions have an alternate 2.0 track and not sure if that is a downmix of the 5.1 or the original 1978 soundtrack.

Darn, I forgot about that...

So, you think with this title they may have done like they did with (for example) "The Terminator" - which has both 2.0 and 5.1 soundtracks included but each soundtrack version sounds very different (especially IMO the butchered squeaky gun-shots in the remix soundtrack of Terminator :cry:).
But anyway getting off topic - I can't find any online information about what version (old or new) the 2.0 Grease soundtrack is. Usually whenever there is a large soundtrack remix, there tend to be lots of websites with people talking about the changes (like with The-Terminator, and various other titles I might know of) - but there doesn't seem to be anyone who has talked about Grease 2.0 soundtrack - if it is actually different to the 5.1. :-?
Can anyone who has a DVD copy with the 2.0 + 5.1 soundtracks compare them please? The differences are actually very subtle, so you have listen very carefully. Apart from the few changes mentioned on IMDB, here are a few differences I know of off the top of my head to listen out for:

--- The remix soundtrack has heavier sounding "footsteps" and "thump" noises of the movement of characters during major song and dance routines I think.
--- (This sound effect differences are extreemly subtle): Listen to the sound of the "trash-can" being knocked over, and the "boing" of the comb on the following two YouTube links I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODOj2jBUKW0 - (1minute-42seconds) + (2minutes-30seconds) - original soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0DfsCzfq4 - (2minutes-11seconds) + (3minutes-0seconds) - remix soundtrack
Similarly listen to the sound of the "bubble-gum" being popped on these links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OBn0HuC50 - (2minutes51seconds) - original soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCumGJ0y9lc - (2minutes53seconds) - remix soundtrack
--- During the car-chase near the end of the movie, when the scorpion leader is racing against Danny (John Travolta), the scorpion leader car has bladed hubcaps which tear through Danny's car making a metalic sawing sound. The original soundtrack sound effect of this sawing has a low tone kind of sawing sound. But the remix soundtrack version has a much higher pitched sawing sound (I can't find any online YouTube videos to compare though).

I'm sure there are plenty other minor sound effect tweaks throughout - mostly during the songs, but I can't remember all of them. OK, yes I'm being picky with most of these :lol: - the sound effects are marginally different, but still I am very good at spotting differences in soundtracks like that and it just irritates me when they change things!
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Grease 1978 (all releases past 1998) UPDATED

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 23 Aug 2017 15:58

Added a note on the DVD page that the audio is unconfirmed.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests