Threads (1984) - UK DVD R2 ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Threads (1984) - UK DVD R2 ADDED

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 06 Oct 2017 17:06

OK, this is my first attempt at making my own comparison, - so bare with me, I'm not used to doing these. Sorry if I mess it up - maybe you guys can correct me. (I tried to make a topic about this title some time ago, but it wasn't very clear, sorry about that, so here are the details for the DVD I own).

The following is a copy of "Threads (1984)" on UK DVD, Region-2, released by "Simply Media":

Title: Threads
Region: R2
Releasing Studio: Simply Media
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Anamorphic?: Non-Anamorphic
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks: <<< How do I find this out? Currently all I can go by is the back cover, and it says "Stereo Audio"
Subtitles (optional): English
Cuts: None - however see notes for more information
Commentaries: None
Extras: None
Notes: The additional background music playing during the very beginning opening scene with the spider-web/opening titles (just before it switches to the characters in the car) has been removed. The scene itself and the narration during this scene remain intact however.
Easter Eggs: None
Amazon ASIN (UK, French, German, USA releases only): B00FQFIJUC
Source: I own a copy

Also, just so you guys know - I know for certain that there are two versions of this title - one which includes the additional background music during the opening scene, and one that doesn't (my copy). I have found proof of this on the following website (so long as the links remain active on the site anyway):

http://www.darewatch.com/watch/threads-1984

If you select "extra links" and watch the very beginning of the videos listed, at least one plays it with the music included, and at least one does not. However I do not know for certain why or when the music was removed - I can only go by what IMDB and wiki say, that the music was supposedly part of the original broadcast, but why it is not part of my copy and maybe others, I have no idea (I can only assume copyright reasons).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090163/alt ... t_ql_trv_5
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Threads (1984) - UK DVD R2

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Oct 2017 14:45

Ewan_McMahon wrote:Soundtracks: <<< How do I find this out? Currently all I can go by is the back cover, and it says "Stereo Audio"

On a player's display it should list an audio codec. Dolby Digital, DTS, LPCM, etc. Press the display button while the movie is playing.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Threads (1984) - UK DVD R2 FAO Ewan

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 11 Oct 2017 16:40

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:On a player's display it should list an audio codec. Dolby Digital, DTS, LPCM, etc. Press the display button while the movie is playing.

Sorry I'm still not entirely clear - I'm not using / don't have an external DVD player (so I don't have a "display button" to click on per say). I'm using an internal one in my windows computer and (I have available) media players programs such as windows-media-player + media-player-classic + VLC (nothing else currently I'm afraid). I've looked through each of these in their media-information etc settings, but I get a mix of confusing results (nothing exactly matching your suggestions) - so I'm not 100% sure exactly what it is the audio information you need.

Assuming one of the above media player programs is good enough - can you tell me which program to use and where/what exactly I am meant to check the audio details? (Sorry, like I said this is my first time making one of these personal reviews, and I really have no idea what I'm doing - the rest of my review data I'm quite sure is accurate though)... :-?

Perhaps something like this is the data you require, though this data makes no sense to me (other "streams" are video and subtitle):

(VLC/tools/media-information/codec):
Stream 2:
Type: Audio
Codec: DVD LPCM Audio (lpcm)
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
+
Stream 5:
Codec: DVD LPCM Audio (lpcm)
Bits per sample: 16
+
Stream 8:
Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
Bits per sample: 192 kb/s

(Or perhaps this data in media-player-classic):
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo [AC3]

Is any of this information useful?
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Threads (1984) - UK DVD R2 FAO Ewan

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 13 Oct 2017 11:51

You listed those streams, but do you know which one is for the movie? AC-3 = Dolby yes. But you also listed LPCM streams. Can anyone help Ewan here? Does VLC not display the type of audio being played?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Threads (1984) - UK DVD R2 FAO ANYONE

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 13 Oct 2017 14:53

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:You listed those streams, but do you know which one is for the movie? AC-3 = Dolby yes. But you also listed LPCM streams. Can anyone help Ewan here? Does VLC not display the type of audio being played?

I'm sorry, no I don't know for certain which stream is for the movie - hence my original confusion. As this DVD has no additional soundtrack options, or commentary track, I can only assume 2 out of 3 of those audio streams belong to the opening DVD menu background music/sound etc. But VLC does not include anymore information other than what I have already posted - and no clear indication which audio-streams are which.

Perhaps the Media-Player-Classic data I also included is more reliable? - It only listed the one audio-track. I've gone back and double checked and I think I confirmed/found the missing data (I tested another random movie title DVD I have that has 5.1 and various other soundtracks on it, and in Media-Player-Classic it shows a clear selectable list of each soundtrack available: like "English: AC3 6 channels", "English: DTS 6 channels", "English: commentary 2 channels" etc).

So here is "Threads" (only) audio stream soundtrack thing as stated by Media-Player-Classic:

Unknown 1 (a.k.a English): AC3 48000 Hz 16 bits 2 channels

I hope this is the data you were looking for - if it is I'll be sure to check here and NOT VLC anymore (VLC is just too complicated - my best guess the LPCM streams were the DVD-menu section sounds). Perhaps in future I should stick to requesting titles, rather than posting my own reviews. Ironically my complicated title requests seem less complicated. :wink:
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 13 Oct 2017 15:19

Will label as "English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo"

One more thing: Runtime, please!

EDIT - found the runtime. Added, thank you!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 13 Oct 2017 15:50

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:Will label as "English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo"

One more thing: Runtime, please!

D'oh! Sorry - that wasn't listed on the layout template page (in the list itself of specs needed). I copy/pasted the list and overlooked the runtime - otherwise I would have added it too! :lol:

Oh BTW, you got it listed on the page as 112:19 PAL, where as my playback time is 113.19 PAL (1hour-53minutes-19seconds).
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Threads (1984) - UK DVD R2 ADDED

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Oct 2017 00:17

Updated the runtime
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests