Eat the Rich (1987) DVDs ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Eat the Rich (1987) DVDs ADDED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 25 Mar 2020 11:07

2 DVD releases of Eat the Rich (1987):

---
Title: Eat the Rich (1987)
Region: 0
Releasing Studio: E-M-S
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 open matte (see notes)
Anamorphic?: No
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks:

English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
German Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo

Subtitles: none
Cuts: no cuts - theatrical version (84:57 PAL equivalent to 88:29)
Commentaries: none
Extras:

German Theatrical Trailer (1:50)
English Theatrical Trailer (1:50)
Image Gallery (15 images, 1:30)

Motörhead Special:
- "Rockthology Featurette" - band interviews, live performance clips and music video clips (in English with optional German subtitles) (22:09)
- "Making of Inferno" - band interview and studio recording footage (in English with optional German subtitles) (9:24)
(see also Easter Egg below)

Bonus Trailers (in German):
- "Beyond Re-Animator" (1:49)
- "Kentucky Fried Movie" (4:31)
- "La Communidad" (a.k.a. "Common Wealth" / "Allein unter Nachbarn") (1:30)
- "Preparati la bara!" (a.k.a. "Django, Prepare a Coffin" / "Django und die Bande der Gehenkten") (2:37)

Bonus Trailer (in English):
- "Rock 'n' Roll High School" (2:34)

Notes: Open matte transfer - picture includes more image top and bottom than the US Image Entertainment release, but less at the sides.
Easter Eggs: Go to the Extras menu, highlight "Rockthology Featurette", press LEFT to highlight the Motörhead logo (bottom right of the screen), then press ENTER to play: 'Unpublished Video Interview from 1986 with Lemmy and Wurzel from Motörhead for "Rock Hard" Magazine' (in English, no subtitles) (60:59)
Amazon ASIN: B0006FVEKO (N.B. also seems to be listed under: B000YLOF7O, B01EGQPZPI but currently unavailable under these ASINs)
Source: I own it

---
Title: Eat the Rich (1987)
Region: 1
Releasing Studio: Image Entertainment
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: approx. 1.83:1 (image is slightly windowboxed - it is contained within the 1.85:1 area i.e. with slight black bars top and bottom, but also has slight black bars at the sides)
Anamorphic?: Yes
PAL or NTSC?: NTSC (progressive transfer i.e. 24p available)
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
Subtitles: none
Cuts: no cuts - theatrical version (88:54)
Commentaries: none
Extras: none
Notes: disc is a DVD-R (at least the one I own is, and it seems to be a genuine item, not a bootleg. I can't find any mention on the packaging that it is a DVD-R.)
Easter Eggs: none known
Amazon ASIN: B000A59Q6O (N.B. also listed under: B01EW10278 but currently unavailable under this ASIN)
Source: I own it

---
Additional info:

I listened to portions of the soundtracks on the above 2 releases, and all soundtracks are definitely in stereo, unlike the Gonzo Multimedia release which is apparently in mono.

The Image Entertainment release includes about 19 seconds of New Line Cinema logo at the start, and about 3 seconds of black at the end, which accounts for most of the difference in runtime between the Image Entertainment release (88:54 total, 88:32 net) and the E-M-S release (equivalent to 88:29 after factoring in PAL speedup). According to the BBFC website, the original theatrical runtime was 88:35.

Comparing the runtimes, it seems likely that the Gonzo Multimedia release, at least the theatrical version (apparently 88:52 PAL) is either an NTSC->PAL conversion or is in fact NTSC, but I don't own it so I can't check.
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Eat the Rich (1987) DVDs

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Mar 2020 11:54

Added, thanks!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Eat the Rich (1987) DVDs ADDED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 28 Mar 2020 15:42

Personally I would say it is a 3-way draw, as the US Image Entertainment release has substantially more image at the sides than the open matte e-m-s release, and has stereo audio, unlike the Gonzo release. Also, like I said, I expect the Gonzo release is an NTSC->PAL conversion (unless it is in fact NTSC).
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Eat the Rich (1987) DVDs ADDED

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Mar 2020 01:40

Rick reviewed the UK disc. I assume his specs are right that it is PAL.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests