La residencia (1970) Blu-ray ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

La residencia (1970) Blu-ray ADDED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 12 Jun 2020 19:35

Title: La residencia (AKA The House That Screamed) (1970)
Region: ALL
Releasing Studio: Al!ve / Colosseo Film
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Codec: AVC MPEG-4
Picture: 1080p 24fps
Soundtracks:

German DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono
English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono
Spanish DTS 2.0 mono
Italian DTS 2.0 mono

Subtitles: English, German (optional)
Cuts: Yes - it is the Extended Version, but has cuts (approx. 2:05) to the opening credits sequence to remove the English credits (101:28)

The picture ends at 101:00, with music continuing over a black screen until 101:28

I have included more details of the cuts in my Additional Notes point 2 below.

Commentaries: none
Extras:

Interview with actor John Moulder-Brown (2011) (18:56) (in English with optional German subtitles)
Film Festival Q&A with actress Mary Maude (2012) (11:50) (in English with optional German subtitles)
4 Trailers (4:28) consisting of:
- US Theatrical Trailer (0:50)
- US TV Spot (0:55)
- Spanish Trailer (1:16)
- English Language Trailer (1:27)
Alternate Opening Credits Sequences (6:52) consisting of:
- Spanish Opening Credits (3:55) (with English dialogue)
- English Opening Credits (2:57) (with English dialogue)
Image Gallery (51 images) (2:20)

Notes:

1. onscreen title: La Résidence, opening credits are in French, end credits are in Spanish
2. shots exclusive to the extended version are from an SD source
3. includes 8 page booklet (in German)
4. includes reversible cover with/without FSK rating symbol
5. case title on spine: Das Versteck, case title on front: Das Versteck - Angst und Mord im Mädcheninternat (also in small letters: La residencia)
6. first pressings included a slipbox, with different artwork to the case insert, but with the same titles, in similar positions

Easter Eggs: none known
Amazon ASIN (UK, French, German, USA releases only): B071RNNXJ2
Source: I own it

Additional Information:

1. What is the Original Language?

This movie was shot with actors of multiple nationalities, who spoke different languages while performing (mostly English and Spanish), so the entire movie was dubbed in post production into several languages for different markets. Therefore, arguably no language could be said to be definitively the 'original'. English seems to be considered to be the main language, but it is a Spanish movie with a Spanish writer/director and shot in Spain, so it could also be argued that Spanish is the original language. Anyway, this Al!ve release has both, along with German and Italian, although the Spanish and Italian soundtracks are lossy, whereas the Shout! Factory release only has the English.

2. More Details of the Cuts

Most or all of the cuts seem to be in the opening credits sequence (I noticed this by chance when checking the extra features, which include alternate opening credits). For some reason, it seems that the English opening credits are placed later in the movie than the French opening credits, and it would have been strange to have 2 sets of credits one after the other.

I don't own the US Shout! Factory release, so I can't compare it with that directly, and in particular I don't know if the opening shots (which is where the French credits are placed) are included in the Shout! Factory release. They do seem to be from a different source to the majority of the Al!ve transfer, and are much more grainy. Plus, the end credits are Spanish, so must be from a different source.

Anyway, on this Al!ve release the movie begins with the French credits over the first few shots (0:54), and following this there is another sequence (0:52) which also appears in the Alternate Opening Credits in a much longer form (2:57), where it has the English opening credits superimposed. It seems that for the actual movie they have taken this sequence, removed all of the frames with credits, and also changed the order of some of the remaining bits. The result is that, in the movie, this sequence has very choppy editing, and also doesn't always make much sense. Since in the movie it is reduced from 2:57 to just 0:52, it is missing about 2:05. This would account for most of the difference in runtime between this and the Shout! Factory release (total difference between the releases is 2:17).

The other alternate opening credits sequence - the Spanish one - seems to include all of the shots for the whole opening sequence intact, although the picture quality isn't great (it is perhaps better than the French credits section but definitely worse then the English credits section). The Spanish credits run over BOTH sections. The runtime for this Spanish opening sequence is 3:55, which is similar to the sum of the French credits section and English credits section (0:54 + 2:57 = 3:51).

I think they might have been better off using the Spanish credits as the source for the opening of the movie, despite its relatively low quality, to create what would presumably have been an uncut version of the movie, rather than combining the low quality French credits section with the superior quality English credits section, and then promptly removing most of it to get rid of the English credits, chopping up the shots in the process. But that's just my personal opinion.

3. Slipboxes, Slipcases Etc.

I have used the term "slipbox" above in an attempt to avoid ambiguity. It is open at one side only, i.e. NOT an O-ring cover which is open top and bottom.
As a general point, there doesn't seem to be much consensus about definitions:
A cover open at one side only is sometimes referred to as a slipbox or slipcase.
A cover open top and bottom is sometimes referred to as an O-ring cover, slipcase, slipcover or slipsleeve.
There are probably other names too!
Darrel_Griffin

Re: La residencia (1970) Blu-ray ADDED

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 12 Jun 2020 19:53

Added. I think I'll just hold onto my Scream Factory disc. Too bad the Germans could not have found a good source for the animated Italian title card.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests