Charlie Chaplin Keystone, Essanay and Mutual DVDs

A place to post your own comparisons for inclusion in our database. For more info, please read the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: Charlie Chaplin Keystone, Essanay and Mutual DVDs

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 20 Jan 2019 22:34

So Arte distributed the German DVDs for 1-3, Icestorm for 4-6. I assume Icestorm released the 1-6 box?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 21 Jan 2019 01:07

No: strangely, Icestorm only released the German Mutuals 4-6. The German box is from Arte; there's a pic in the link in my last post. This is an odd wrinkle but rather than explaining, it was another complication I was hoping to avoid by offering the copy/paste option. I don't blame you for asking though. ;)

My confusion over this and a few other points led me to get the French and German box sets, to settle it once and for all.

There are are just two other DVD sets of these restorations: Dutch and Spanish (which has just four discs and different extras; I'll add it eventually). It may not be enough for you to add it to this site, but I'm convinced the Dutch set is also identical to the French and German. I've scoured numerous Dutch listings, like those here and here, which show it to have their specs and the French set's variant artwork (it was issued there in two different flavours). What's more, the same Dutch label, Living Colour, also distributed all the other French/German DVDs in Arte's "The Silent Era" Collection.

To sum up, it seems Arte Video distributed their exact same discs and overall package designs everywhere, except in the case of the German individually-released Mutuals and the Dutch set. With those, the discs and package designs were still exactly the same, but the sleeves themselves additionally mentioned their different distributors.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Jan 2019 15:41

OK, added the French 4-6 set.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 30 Jan 2019 00:40

Seriously good work, James. I see you've generally tidied the comparisons up too - thanks!

Re the BFI DVDs, both baggish and I confirmed the Essanay scores were mono and I could have sworn he or someone else said the same was true of the Mutuals, which I don't own. However, I now see their scores listed as 2.0 and 5.1 stereo; is that definite?
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 30 Jan 2019 15:17

Not sure. Didnt touch the BFI DVDs.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby baggish » 31 Jan 2019 21:38

Just to confirm, I haven't said anything about the Mutuals. My county library does have the Mutuals Vol 2 (but not Vol 1) but I haven't decided whether to order it yet. They have some other things that are higher priority for me. The library also has the 4-disc BFI Keystone set, but it looks like the specs are already complete for that.
baggish

Postby Brent_Reid » 31 Jan 2019 22:17

Cheers for the reply. I thought I'd heard something about the BFI Mutuals' scores being mono too, and supposed it must have been here. Amid all that talk of them being NTSC-PAL and so on, I was probably just conflating the two sets. I'd appreciate confirmation the Mutuals really do have the two stereo options as listed. If so, it begs the question why the 5.1 mixes weren't included on the BFI BDs...
Brent_Reid

Previous

Return to Your Comparisons