Charade (1963) BD ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: Charade (1963) BD ADDED

Postby Mikael_Pitkänen » 17 Jun 2019 08:19

Hi Brent,

Updated "The Truth About Charlie" DVD page (added running times, region info and Amazon ASINs).
Updated Australian release of "Charade" DVD (added region info, added running time, soundtracks changed to mono and added missing subtitles).

About "Charade"/"The Truth About Charlie" double features, are these flipper discs or are movies on separate discs? According to our database US release is flipper disc and Australian release is 2-disc release. I could add flipper releases to database but for 2-disc releases link in the Notes section should be enough.

Is/was there separate releases available for "Charade" and/or "The Truth About Charlie" in the Australia, or just the double feature release?
Mikael_Pitkänen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Charade (1963) BD FAO Brent

Postby Brent_Reid » 17 Jun 2019 08:49

Thanks yet again! Sorry I was mistaken, re the German and Oz TTAC DVDs. I thought they were single twofer discs, but you're right: a note on the German and Oz Charades and TTACs is plenty. Perhaps something along the lines of:
"Also available in a doublepack with the remake, The Truth About Charlie."
"Also available in a doublepack with the original version, Charade."

The missing runtime of the US Universal Charade is 113:16 and its ASIN is B006TTC5WC. There's also a Canadian version of it with slightly different packaging, ASIN: B006W75G6I.

There's also a Canadian version of the US flipper disc.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 17 Jun 2019 15:48

Could you give us the runtimes for the US /Canada "Truth About Charlie"? If there is a disc difference between the US and Canadian releases we will list them separately, but if the bilingual artowork is the only difference we do not need to add a separate listing.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 17 Jun 2019 16:04

I don't own any TTAC DVDs, but like the Universal Charades, they seem to exist only in identical PAL or NTSC variants.
Brent_Reid

Postby Mikael_Pitkänen » 19 Jun 2019 06:55

Brent_Reid wrote:Thanks yet again! Sorry I was mistaken, re the German and Oz TTAC DVDs. I thought they were single twofer discs, but you're right: a note on the German and Oz Charades and TTACs is plenty. Perhaps something along the lines of:

The missing runtime of the US Universal Charade is 113:16 and its ASIN is B006TTC5WC. There's also a Canadian version of it with slightly different packaging, ASIN: B006W75G6I.

There's also a Canadian version of the US flipper disc.

Added note on the German Charade and TTAC about double feature. (I couldn't find Amazon ASINs/links for the Australian releases).
Added runtime for US Universal 100th Anniversary Charade.
Canadian versions not added (see post by James-Masaki).
Also updated US flipper disc entries in the database (linked to each other).

Do you have running times available for the flipper disc?
Mikael_Pitkänen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 19 Jun 2019 08:29

Thanks Mikael. A little confusion has set in though, which is perfectly understandable!

There is an additional US standalone DVD of Charade, identical to side two of the TTAC/Charade release. Its ASIN is B006TTC5WC and the Charade runtime on both DVDs is 113:16.

Although it's the same transfer and the difference will be mere seconds, the 113:16 runtime does not apply to the US Universal 100th Anniversary Charade.

Although Australian releases are usually listed by default on the UK Amazon site, sadly DVDCompare has a policy of not linking to them.

There are more accurate notes for the separately-released Oz Charade and TTAC DVDs:
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 19 Jun 2019 13:39

Brent_Reid wrote:There is an additional US standalone DVD of Charade, identical to side two of the TTAC/Charade release. Its ASIN is B006TTC5WC and the Charade runtime on both DVDs is 113:16.

Where did you get this runtime? Do you have the single disc release? Because the runtime doesn't match the "The Truth About Charlie" disc.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 19 Jun 2019 15:09

Now I'm getting a bit confused! You can scratch the first half of my last post, but the TTAC/Charade disc timing for Charade is 113:16. I reiterate: that runtime has just been incorrectly added to the US Universal 100th Anniversary DVD.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 19 Jun 2019 15:23

DVDBeaver is wrong. The runtime is 113:20 and also includes English HoH subtitles, not just closed captions as they say.
What is the runtime of the 100th Anniversary disc?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Mikael_Pitkänen » 19 Jun 2019 15:29

Running time fixed for US flipper disc.

edit. James-Masaki was quicker :-D
Mikael_Pitkänen
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 19 Jun 2019 15:43

DVDBeaver is far from infallible but I think on this occasion the 4-second discrepancy is due to different player readings. Just this morning I had a 5-second difference between a film's runtime on my PC's BD drive running VLC, as opposed to my home theatre BDP.

I haven't a clue as to the runtime of the US Universal 100th Anniversay DVD, or I'd have posted it! :-D
Brent_Reid

Postby Brent_Reid » 19 Jun 2019 16:16

Please note there's also a Japanese BD from Paramount. It appears to be completely vanilla and is up on Caps-a-holic

Lastly, the DVD comparison footnotes now need updating again to reflect all the above additions:
    OVERALL: R1
    The Criterion re-release for the substantial film-related extras AND Universal's restored anamorphic transfer.

Do note, the Sanctuary disc includes some exclusive extras, but the film is non-anamorphic and unrestored, while Universal's 100th Anniversary release has their anamorphic restoration but the extras are not directly related to the film.

Charade is in the public domain and there are countless bargain basement DVDs with substandard non-anamorphic transfers, all taken from secondary sources, such as TV broadcasts, VHS video, etc. Only the Universal, Concorde, Criterion and Park Circus releases are from Universal's restored original vault materials.

Though I do query the current phrase "substantial film-related extras" and would give the Criterion the nod purely based on its commentary. The other extras are the usual text-based fluff, rightly dropped by Criterion for their BD. In fact, the trailer, which they rightly retained, is of much more value.
Brent_Reid

Postby Markus_Lang » 19 Jun 2019 18:03

Brent_Reid wrote:DVDBeaver is far from infallible but I think on this occasion the 4-second discrepancy is due to different player readings.
I’d rather guess the incorrect runtime may come from the Bitrate software which is often a couple of seconds off.

Just this morning I had a 5-second difference between a film's runtime on my PC's BD drive running VLC, as opposed to my home theatre BDP.
That shoud not be possible, if the same file is played back. I’m a bit sceptical.
Markus_Lang

Postby Brent_Reid » 19 Jun 2019 18:29

Markus_Lang wrote:That shoud not be possible, if the same file is played back. I’m a bit sceptical.

Sceptical of what? That I'm telling the truth or that it's actually possible? Either way, you're wrong but feel free to test it yourself. The film in question is Murder! on the US Lionsgate Alfred Hitchcock: 3-Disc Collector’s Edition box set (2007). VLC shows it as 102:08, as opposed to my BDP (and DVDCompare and the Hitchcock Zone) where it's 102:03. You're welcome.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 19 Jun 2019 22:25

The Japanese Blu-ray is already in our database.

Yes, depending on different programs to read out DVD information, runtimes can be off by a few seconds. The 113:20 runtime I listed is directly from playback so we will leave it as that, in addition to the runtimes for The Truth About Charlie and its extras. (Checked from direct playback)

As for notes on "Charade", updated
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Markus_Lang » 20 Jun 2019 15:22

Brent_Reid wrote:Sceptical of what? That I'm telling the truth or that it's actually possible?
Are you using AnyDVD HD and have some unusual setting there, like “Remove annoying adverts and trailers” or “Remove video sequences shorter than ... minutes”? Which runtime does DVD Decrypter software give? It is the most accurate as it states a clip length by frames. I don’t have that disc at hand and cannot test it myself.
Markus_Lang

Previous

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests