Terror/Devil's Men R0 USA ADDED

A selection of threads which are no longer active but which we feel are of significant value to keep.

Moderator: Forum Team

Terror/Devil's Men R0 USA ADDED

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 29 Jan 2012 12:01

Title: Terror
Region: 0
Distributor: Scorpion Releasing
Case Type: Amaray
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Anamorphic?: yes
PAL or NTSC?: NTSC
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): none
Cuts: NTSC - 1:24:18
Commentaries: none
Extras: Playable with optional KATARINA'S NIGHTMARE THEATER segments, BLOODY GOOD TIMES featurette (16:9; 40:40), Deleted Scenes: Bathtime with Brenda (16:9; 1:14) and Night Club (16:9; 1:32), U.S. Theatrical Trailer (16:9; 1:41), French Theatrical Trailer (16:9; 1:37), Trailers for NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT, DOUBLE EXPOSURE, and THE DEVIL WITHIN HER
Notes: available in double feature disc with THE DEVIL'S MEN (UK cut of LAND OF THE MINOTAUR)
Easter Eggs: none
Source:* review copy

this is the only shot noticeably missing from stabbing murder on the UK disc
and it is present on both the BCI and Scorpion discs which use the Crown International 16:9 master (which is better framed than the UK disc). BTW, the Scorpion transfer is progressive, the BCI is interlaced.

an alternate angle is used during the stabbing scene (note the tighter framing on the USA shot and the position of the actress' hand on the railing - her hand does not curl over the rail in the UK shot before the cutaway)

The Anchor Bay UK is also missing approximately 40 seconds from the first "Bathtime with Brenda" sequence - in which the director gives the male actor some direction and the actress accidentally kneels on his groin in the bath -
and approximately 50 seconds from the second "Bathtime with Brenda" scene between the end of the reel reaction shot of John Nolan in the office scene with James Aubrey and before the male actor on the set says "I've just washed my hands" which consists of a blown take where the actress forgets her response to that line the first time around. These two bits are present in the Crown International cut of the film.

The "Bathtime with Brenda" deleted scene is the same one from the Anchor Bay disc (the "giggle giggle" bit, for which there is a payoff in the second "Brenda" scene in the film) and it was also not present in the US cut, as is the "Nite Club" extension.

ALSO, you should not in the listing for the UK disc that the same documentary TERROR-specific "Bloody Good Times" is present on disc 5 of the Norman J. Warren set (of which the UK disc is an exclusive)
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Terror R0 USA ADDED

Postby Paul_Lewis » 29 Jan 2012 20:49

Added. Thanks, Eric :)

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=6976#2

I've also added the note about the UK set containing 'Bloody Good Times/Fun'.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 29 Jan 2012 23:19

BTW, the Anchor Bay disc runs 1:19:21 (with PAL speedup and missing footage)
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 29 Jan 2012 23:35

Do you have the Scorpion specs for "The Devil's Men" then? We have the basics.
Also waiting to see if the UK re-issue by Odeon Ent is the same as the original one by DD Home Ent.
The Prof.

"Long live the new flesh."
Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 29 Jan 2012 23:40

[quote="Nigel_Badnell"]Do you have the Scorpion specs for "The Devil's Men" then? We have the basics.
Also waiting to see if the UK re-issue by Odeon Ent is the same as the original one by DD Home Ent.[/quote]

I'll send you the specs in a bit. I'm working on a DVDBeaver comparison (BCI vs Scorpion for DEVIL'S MEN/Anchor Bay vs BCI vs Scorpion for TERROR). I didn't do DEVIL'S MEN last night because I already had three threads up for DAY AT THE BEACH, TERROR, and WHO PAYS THE FERRYMAN
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Devil's Men R0 USA ADDED

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 30 Jan 2012 00:08

Title: The Devil's Men
Region: 0
Distributor: Scorpion Releasing
Case Type: Amaray
Aspect Ratio: 1.62:1
Anamorphic?: yes
PAL or NTSC?: NTSC
Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): none
Cuts: NTSC - 1:34:09 (UK version)
Commentaries: none
Extras: Playable with KATARINA'S NIGHTMARE THEATER intro and post-script, trailers for NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT, DOUBLE EXPOSURE, and THE DEVIL WITHIN HER
Notes: only available in double feature with TERROR
Easter Eggs: none
Source:* review copy

BCI above, Scorpion below
Scorpion reveals more info on the bottom, but it appears that BCI stretched their source (16mm?) to 1.78:1

Odeon may perhaps use this new master. The credits are in English but they begin with a freeze frame of the first shot with a presentation card for Cosmospolis Film (Brussels) and Rex Films (France), so this may be the same 16:9 master that reportedly appears on the French SECTE DES MORTS VIVANTS DVDs (OOP 2005 Neo Publishing and later 2007 Seven7 DVDs [which reportedly feature French mono, and English 5.1 and DTS tracks]).

Scorpion's DEVIL'S MEN was licensed from Euro London Films, who have licensed films to Odeon. TERROR is licensed from Mill Creek who have released crappy but legit DVDs of Crown International titles, and have sub-licensed to Scorpion and Code Red.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 30 Jan 2012 06:27

The same footage missing from the Anchor Bay release is present on the German tape in this comparison: [url]http://www.schnittberichte.com/report.php?ID=2768[/url]

The X certificate version ran 87m 9s according to the BBFC site. What is present both the Anchor Bay and Crown versions of the film was probably enough to get an X during that period, so I'm wondering if the missing 3 minutes (from the US running time) could include some or part of the the other deleted "Bathtime with Brenda" footage or the deleted "Night Club" footage.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 30 Jan 2012 21:42

DD Home Entertainment looks to be the same print as Scorpion.
I'd post a snapshot but it crashes my viewer when I try to!
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 30 Jan 2012 22:13

[quote="Nigel_Badnell"]DD Home Entertainment looks to be the same print as Scorpion.
I'd post a snapshot but it crashes my viewer when I try to![/quote]

I thought DD was 4:3 widescreen.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Terror/Devil's Men R0 USA ADDED

Postby Tim_Rogerson » 01 Feb 2012 12:34

Thanks - very interesting. Next time I'm in the BFI library I'll check out the MFB to see whether the UK theatrical print actually ran 87m or not (it was not uncommon for trimes to be made post BBFC certification).
Tim_Rogerson

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 01 Feb 2012 17:10

I thought DD was 4:3 widescreen.

4:3 widescreen?????
It was always listed as widescreen, but nominal 1.66:1.
I measured it as 1.62:1, same as Scorpion. It is non-anamorphic.
I'll have another go with screencap, kill-off some apps first.
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 01 Feb 2012 20:49

[quote="Nigel_Badnell"][quote]I thought DD was 4:3 widescreen.[/quote]
4:3 widescreen?????
It was always listed as widescreen, but nominal 1.66:1.
I measured it as 1.62:1, same as Scorpion. It is non-anamorphic.
I'll have another go with screencap, kill-off some apps first.[/quote]

I meant 4:3 letterbox. Scorpion is 16:9 and 1.62:1 with vertical mattes. It also starts off with a card for Cosmopolis Film and Rex Film "presentent"
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 01 Feb 2012 22:45

o.k., not the same then as DD starts off with the "Getty Picture Corporation and Poseidon Films present" credit, which is interesting as there is another recent UK release:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devils-men-DVD- ... 705&sr=1-5
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 01 Feb 2012 22:57

I'm assuming that Odeon will use the same 16:9 master, which I believe was prepared for the Neo Publishing French disc (which explains the French presentation card - the Getty/Poseidon one follows it). I'll make a cap later.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 02 Feb 2012 06:15

ecc wrote:I'm assuming that Odeon will use the same 16:9 master, which I believe was prepared for the Neo Publishing French disc (which explains the French presentation card - the Getty/Poseidon one follows it). I'll make a cap later.

I misremembered. The Cosmopolis/Rex presentation credit over the opening freeze frame shot replaces Getty/Poseidon

Also, the BCI LAND OF THE MINOTAUR transfer runs 1:25:27. Another difference between the two versions besides the cuts (nudity/gore/some exposition/scene extensions), the US version lacks the Brian Eno theme song (which continues long after the closing credits fadeout).
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 04 Feb 2012 12:56

Links added, thanks.
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 06 Feb 2012 17:09

in the cuts notes for terror you say "Two bad takes are omitted also from this version: there are 40s missing from the first 'Bathtime with Brenda' sequence and 50s are missing from the second 'Bathtime with Brenda' sequence (79:21 PAL)."

they are not bad takes. what is a bad take is the bit missing from the second sequence - the actress in the film within a film blows her line, not the actress herself.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 06 Feb 2012 23:48

I had forgotten the film, ages since I watched it. What are we to make of these two "missing" scenes. Who/why "cut"?
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Nigel_Badnell » 06 Feb 2012 23:50

I had forgotten the film, ages since I watched it. What are we to make of these two "missing" scenes. Who/why "cut"?
I was trying to reword since the cuts entry talked about a brief cut and then listed these long "missing" scenes.
The Overall also refers to just a brief cut - which seems odd, given the above. It's not clear to me so may not be clear to others.
The Prof.

Nigel_Badnell
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Reference