Charlie Chaplin Blu-ray information needed

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Charlie Chaplin Blu-ray information needed

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 16 Feb 2016 14:18

Some missing information on some Chaplin Blu-rays. If anyone has info, please let us know:

Charlie Chaplin Mutual Films - Spain Divisa set - Whose music scored are used?

The Charlie Chaplin - 11 Disc Artificial Eye set - Which extras are in HD and which are in SD?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Charlie Chaplin Blu-ray information needed

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 08 Mar 2016 15:40

Entering missing info for Chaplin Blu-rays but cannot find these specifics:

The Artificial Eye UK "Modern Times" - what is the runtime of the "Chaplin Today" featurette?
The Artificial Eye UK "Great Dictator" - what is the runtime of the trailers?
The Artificial Eye UK "Monsieur Verdoux" - what is the film's runtime?
The Artificial Eye UK "Woman of Paris" - what is the film's runtime?
The Artificial Eye UK "Limelight" - what is the film's runtime?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Mar 2016 16:16

Have you reached out to Brent?
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 08 Mar 2016 23:49

Samuel_Scott wrote:Have you reached out to Brent?

Yes, I Have.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Mar 2016 07:57

Hi,

I already supplied some of this Artificial Eye BD information in a recent Chaplin comparisons thread, but it was deleted without being entered. Once again:

A Woman of Paris runtime: 81:14
Monsieur Verdoux runtime: 123:57
Limelight runtime: 137:34

I also said:

Additionally, despite saying region 1 on their sleeves, all the US Image Entertainment Chaplin DVDs of his films from 1918-1957 are actually region 0; they're listed here as region 1. Their region free coding matches the various US Image Essanay and Mutual films DVDs, which I also own.

Though the Image Essanays and Mutuals aren't listed here, I detailed all of them, alongside numerous others, here:

I'll re-submit some other info that wasn't added either...
Brent_Reid

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Mar 2016 09:25

AE BD - Chaplin Today: Modern Times (26:27)

AE BD - The Great Dictator trailers (2:06)
These two short trailers are modern mk2 reissues, I think from 2003. They're in letterboxed, cropped widescreen (the film is originally 1.37:1 (1.33:1 on home video) and have video-generated text overlays and effects. I haven't checked but assume at least some of the other TGD issues contain original trailers. As per every other extra on the AE BDs, the audio is LPCM (stereo in this case; some of the AE BD's other extras have LPCM mono, as appropriate).
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 21 May 2017 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Mar 2016 11:42

Awesome! Will get right on it!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Mar 2016 12:02

Updated the runtimes as you provided and updated the Image DVDs to region 0 (I hope I didn't miss any).

Would love to add the Keystone Mutual and Essanay collections if there are some reviews out there with good info on runtimes and specs.
DVDBeaver's review of the Flicker Alley Keystone has a basic breakdown but no info on runtimes of the films or extras. Also Unknown Chaplin (A&E US), Mutual Films BFI DVD, but not as much as the comparisons we have for the Essanay Blu-ray and the Mutual Blu-ray (because I used MY personal discs to check)

I don't know which ones you own, Brent but when you get the time to check runtimes and specs, we will gladly add! I've added all my Chaplin discs from my personal collection already.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 14 Mar 2016 14:16

I own many of the DVDs and BDs mentioned across all those Chaplin Guides, including everything Image released and far too many PD DVDs. I often thought of submitting specs for some of those missing here but instead ploughed that time and energy into compiling the guides. It's bloody time-consuming work ascertaining exact specs for any given disc and I take my hat off to you, James!

It'd be great to have as many Chaplin releases as poss in the DVDC database but in the case of his films in particular, I think the way I've presented the info is more user friendly. This is because unlike modern films with just one or maybe two (or three) different cuts of exactly the same negative, it's more important to know which of the many different restorations, alternative negatives and soundtracks are included on a Chaplin disc.

For specifics of extras, etc., I always link to you guys. I think DVDC gets at least one mention in every other post on my site!
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 21 May 2017 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Mar 2016 14:27

Yes, your guides are very helpful, and always thanks for your mentions.
Won't pressure you into doing all that work, and as you said you don't have a DVD-ROM drive to make things a little easier (or was that a BD-ROM drive?)

By chance you do decide to list some detailed specs out, we will of course input them here, and link to the Brenton Film lists. (Probably should do that for the current Chaplin and Nosferatu pages we have...)
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 14 Mar 2016 15:32

Brent_Reid wrote:but it was deleted without being entered.

Not deleted, but prematurely moved to the completed section by myself. Apologies and good work on this again guys!
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 15 Mar 2016 13:12

Added the US and UK restored Chaplin at Keystone DVDs
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 04 May 2016 19:58

Don't delete this thread just yet; I will get all those Image specs to you, as soon as I work out how! :-?
Brent_Reid

Postby Brent_Reid » 20 Apr 2017 11:46

I'm back! Quite a few Chaplin releases have been added in the interim, but I see both the BD and DVD listings for A King in New York could do with some amending, re their versions, and perhaps you could add the following note:

There are three versions of A King in New York:

1957 UK première cut: 120+ mins
    1957 general theatrical release cut, created a few months after the première: 110 mins
    1972 US (much-belated) première cut; the Chaplin estate-approved "Daddy" version, most commonly in circulation today: 105 mins
All footage cut after the UK première is included in the extras of the Warner and Artificial Eye releases.

Aside from clarification of the AE BD extras' HD status, is there any other Chaplin release info you need?
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 20 Apr 2017 13:34

Other Chaplin necessary info:

Basically anything that is missing runtimes (Chaplin at Keystone UK DVD for example)
I'm sure there are more things, but I'd have to go through them all to find the exact things.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 20 Apr 2017 16:04

I only have the BFI Keystone set, but can confirm, as per my Chaplin Guide which you very kindly linked to, that the Flicker Alley DVDs are unconverted NTSC ports of the PAL masters. Aside from possibly containing an added Flicker Alley ident on start-up, they are exactly the same as the BFI discs.
Brent_Reid

Postby Brent_Reid » 02 Jun 2017 05:21

Have just noted that Divisa Mutuals question in the OP. They have the Carl Davis scores with no alternatives. This info is in my Chaplin Collectors Guide, Part 2; how about linking that too?! ;)

The Flicker Alley, BFI and Divisa Essanay BDs all have one score per film:

His New Job - Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
    A Night Out - Robert Israel Orchestra
    The Champion - Robert Israel Orchestra
    In the Park - Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
    A Jitney Elopement - Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
    The Tramp - Robert Israel Orchestra
    By the Sea - Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
    His Regeneration - Robert Israel at the Fotoplayer
    Work - Robert Israel Orchestra
    A Woman - Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
    The Bank - Robert Israel Orchestra
    Shanghaied - Robert Israel Orchestra
    A Night in the Show - Timothy Brock
    Burlesque on Carmen - Timothy Brock
    Police - Robert Israel Orchestra
    Triple Trouble - Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
The reissue of "Charlie's Triple Trouble" is from 1944, not 1948, as stated.

Any chance of adding specs for Divisa's Chaplin Essanays BD set? It's the only one missing of the recent Essanay/Mutual restorations' six HD releases...
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 22 Jun 2017 22:58

Brent_Reid wrote:Have just noted that Divisa Mutuals question in the OP. They have the Carl Davis scores with no alternatives. This info is in my Chaplin Collectors Guide, Part 2; how about linking that too?! ;)

Updated and linked.

Brent_Reid wrote:The Flicker Alley, BFI and Divisa Essanay BDs all have one score per film:

We would list the film scores if they differed from one release to another. Since all are the same we decided not to list them there. If a version of the Essanay set was released with completely different scores, we will list them out then.

Brent_Reid wrote:The reissue of "Charlie's Triple Trouble" is from 1944, not 1948, as stated.

Is this confirmed? The BFI release had both years printed and I chose 1948 for some reason (I'm sure I had a valid reason, but I'm not the Chaplin expert!)

Brent_Reid wrote:Any chance of adding specs for Divisa's Chaplin Essanays BD set? It's the only one missing of the recent Essanay/Mutual restorations' six HD releases...

Only if we get the detailed specs!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests