Are You Being Served R2 DVD Bitrate

A place to request new comparisons. For more info, please read the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Forum Team

Are You Being Served R2 DVD Bitrate

Postby Kalas_Xavier » 25 Apr 2021 12:47

Are You Being Served? already has an entry here http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=25573

I purchased the R1 set because it is the only source for certain episodes uncut. However, the entry here does not specify the bitrate and overall video quality of the sets. If only 5 episodes are cut on the R2 DVDs, but the others are presented at a higher bitrate, I would probably end up purchasing the R2 set for a superior presentation on those 64 episodes.

When looking for information about the R2 bitrate I came across this site comparing the sequel Grace & Favour. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/dvd_revi ... served.htm The R2 ended up having a significantly higher bitrate which makes me suspect the same might be true of AYBS.

If no one chimes in with it before my DVDs arrive I will share bitrate information for the R1 set in the next few days. If someone that has the R2 discs could pop it in a DVD drive and see check the bitrate of those discs (only takes a moment with MediaInfo) I would appreciate it.
Kalas_Xavier

Re: Are You Being Served R2 DVD Bitrate

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 25 Apr 2021 14:15

We do not post about bitrates or picture quality on pages, as we list only the basic tech specs and times for comparison. They may sometimes be within disc reviews, but only if the reviewer has the ability to do so.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Kalas_Xavier » 07 May 2021 14:27

Since I got a good price on the R2 set I decided to take one for the team and find out for myself. As is usually the case with series filmed in the UK, the UK R2 release has better picture quality than the R1 discs, both from the eye test and by the numbers. The R1 discs use a variable bitrate while the R2 discs are in the range of 5400-5500kbps for each episode. Typical imperfections that you get when converting PAL to NTSC are obviously not present on the R2 discs. The UK discs are divided by series, with series three receiving two discs. The US discs have as many episodes that could be crammed onto a single layer the disc with whatever the VBR formula is, irrespective of series. Audio bitrate was the same one the episodes I checked.

The R2 set also features the AYBS 4/22/83 appearance on BBC One's Breakfast Time which is an extra not on my R1 set (slim cases if it was on earlier printing but removed later).
Last edited by Kalas_Xavier on 08 May 2021 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Kalas_Xavier

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 08 May 2021 08:44

Also, keep in mind GRACE & FAVOUR was released in the UK by Eureka. 2Entertain, who distributed the rest of the series, might have the same standards as Eureka in video presentation as a branch of BBC whereas the US BBC releases at the time were distributed by Warner Bros. (Acorn Media more recently) and they tended to skimp on the BBC stuff including using those annoying double-sided discs for some longer miniseries.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Comparison Requests