Ninja: Shadow of a Tear
That's My Boy
Escape from Alcatraz
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 09 Jan 2014 23:07

The Secret Lives of Dentists (UK DVD) - Good marriage breakdown movie with stunning performances from Hope Davis and Campbell Scott. 7/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 10 Jan 2014 01:17

The Rules of the Game (US Blu)
It was about time I finally viewed this movie, considered by many as the best French film ever made. I think I have a personal preference for Melville's Army of Shadows, but managing to direct such a movie in 1939, still brilliant today, is really a "tour de force". A funny (and dark) criticism of the French decadent bourgeoisie... at some points, it reminded me of Visconti's The Damned - 9/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 10 Jan 2014 02:28

Due Date
Saving Private Ryan
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 11 Jan 2014 03:51

THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS - Extended Cut (UK blu-ray) : second viewing; 10/10

I was rather disappointed after my first viewing at the cinema. Watched it twice then. Four times, more or less, on dvd. This film has grown on me over the years. One of my favorite action films.

True. It is style over substance. Certainly, you don't watch this kind of film for enlightenment.

What's good? Antoine Fuqua's stylish direction, Harry Gregson-Williams's choice of music, the action sequences and the cast especially "Mr. Cool" Chow Yun-fat.

The extended cut is marginally better than the theatrical cut as it fleshes out the characters' motivation.

The blu-ray DD 5.1 audio, losless or not, is demo-worthy :2gunfire:
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 11 Jan 2014 10:54

Davy_Lee wrote:THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS - Extended Cut (UK blu-ray) : second viewing; 10/10

I was rather disappointed after my first viewing at the cinema. Watched it twice then. Four times, more or less, on dvd. This film has grown on me over the years. One of my favorite action films.

True. It is style over substance. Certainly, you don't watch this kind of film for enlightenment.

What's good? Antoine Fuqua's stylish direction, Harry Gregson-Williams's choice of music, the action sequences and the cast especially "Mr. Cool" Chow Yun-fat.

The extended cut is marginally better than the theatrical cut as it fleshes out the characters' motivation.

The blu-ray DD 5.1 audio, losless or not, is demo-worthy :2gunfire:

Yeah, watched it not so long time ago. Got BR the last year, but had no time to even unwrap the case!
The LPCM 5.1 track is as good as it gets. Though I wish it was 7.1... And yeah, the longer cut is way better in this case.
I was so disappointed with that Extended Cut of Tears Of The Sun. :oops:

And I finally watched Galaxy Quest on BR! I though I'd never do that. :-D Took like 4 hours to even find the disc in that box with other BR discs I got recently...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 11 Jan 2014 15:32

Battleship
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 11 Jan 2014 16:09

Battleship

I watched it first on DVD, then some time later got a Blu. I liked it the second time. That DVD had so many issues, it ruined the movie completely.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 11 Jan 2014 17:19

The last couple of days:

Features:

Orca: Killer Whale (1977) (Italian DVD) - Underrated one this. Great cast. 6/10

Museum Hours (2012) (UK DVD) - Quite a unique viewing experience and I imagine just as many people will hate it as love it. I dug it. 8/10

Dracula: The Dark Prince (2013) (UK DVD) - Surprisingly good sets for the budget, but the story was poor and the acting sub-par. Jon Voight felt very much misplaced. 3/10

Shorts:

Amber City (1999) (UK DVD) - Sort of a travelogue on an unnamed Italian city. You can see how Jem Cohen improved the concept for Museum Hours. 6/10

Anne Truitt, Working (2010) (UK DVD) - Short biographical piece on artist Anne Truitt. 4/10

Museum (1997) (UK DVD) - The original silent short that was the precursor for Museum Hours, but nowhere near as good. 5/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 12 Jan 2014 21:34

Upstream Color (watched on Netflix) 4/10 - I was never a fan of the director's previous film (Primer) but thought I'd give this one a chance since the trailer looked interesting, While it was certainly different and inventive, I just didn't like it all that much and was never really engrossed by the story.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 12 Jan 2014 22:00

Take Me Home Tonight
How I Spent My Summer Vacation (aka Get the Gringo)
You Again
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 12 Jan 2014 22:27

El Orfanato (French Blu)
One of the many Spanish ghost movies that got released these last ten years. Not very frightening but good story and actors - 7/10.

Volver (US Blu)
One of the best, if not the best, Almodovar movie... I'm longing for his other movies (Todo sobre mi madre, Hable Con Ella, Matador...) to be released on Blu :evil: - 9/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 Jan 2014 22:47

Line of Duty: Series 1 (2012) (UK DVD) - Cracking BBC police corruption drama with a superb cast including Martin Compston and Gina McKee. Looking forward to series 2 now. 9/10

Golf Balls! (1999) (UK DVD) - Teen sex comedy set at a golf club. Not very funny, but I've seen worse in the genre. A generous 3/10.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 12 Jan 2014 22:48

El Orfanato (French Blu)
One of the many Spanish ghost movies that got released these last ten years. Not very frightening but good story and actors - 7/10.

I'm about to watch it BTW (US Blu).

Volver (US Blu)
One of the best, if not the best, Almodovar movie... I'm longing for his other movies (Todo sobre mi madre, Hable Con Ella, Matador...) to be released on Blu - 9/10

Watched it on R3 DVD (HK) a few yrs ago, fell asleep. :roll: It was SO BORING, zzzzz...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 12 Jan 2014 23:04

Love Volver. Still surprised it isn't held up on a pedestal like his earlier films. I think Volver would rank as my third favourite Almodovar though. Hable con Ella is my favourite, and Bad Education probably sits second. Rounding off the top 5 would be Jamon Jamon and possibly All About My Mother.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 13 Jan 2014 01:37

Samuel_Scott wrote:Love Volver. Still surprised it isn't held up on a pedestal like his earlier films. I think Volver would rank as my third favourite Almodovar though. Hable con Ella is my favourite, and Bad Education probably sits second. Rounding off the top 5 would be Jamon Jamon and possibly All About My Mother.

I must confess Hable con Ella is one of those I've never seen :oops: But I know it's said to be among the best, if not the best... waiting for BR releases, but I fear I might wait a long time... :evil: (avalable in Spain, but not English friendly)
Jamon Jamon is from Bigas Luna, not from Almodovar
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 13 Jan 2014 01:38

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:Watched it on R3 DVD (HK) a few yrs ago, fell asleep. :roll: It was SO BORING, zzzzz...

Well, you should give it a second chance IMO :o
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 13 Jan 2014 01:45

War Horse (US Blu)
Well I'm not precisely a Spielberg-buff, and this movie is typical of what he does: adventure, comedy, drama, good feelings all the way or almost... well crafted, but I must be getting too old for this - 7/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Jan 2014 07:55

Vincent_Bouche wrote:Jamon Jamon is from Bigas Luna, not from Almodovar

Penelope Cruz keeps throwing me off. :lol: :oops:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 13 Jan 2014 19:27

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Vincent_Bouche wrote:Jamon Jamon is from Bigas Luna, not from Almodovar

Penelope Cruz keeps throwing me off. :lol: :oops:

I see what you mean :crazyeyes:
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator