What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 04 Jan 2014 23:56

Samuel_Scott wrote:Predator 2 (UK Blu-ray) - Underrated follow-up IMO. I still enjoy Danny Glover's character in this, and felt it was fun to have a Predator in an urban environment. 7/10

Paranormal Activity 2 (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Not a bad follow-up, and I quite like these supernatural found footage type movies. There are plenty worse of them out there in this sub-genre than this. 6/10

Home Alone (UK Blu-ray) - Childhood favourite, and was disappointed it didn't arrive in time for Xmas. It's held up well and still makes me laugh. 8/10

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (UK Blu-ray) - This was the film that made me buy LA Gears when I was a kid. :lol: 7/10

Jingle All the Way (UK Blu-ray) - Another childhood favourite, Arnie and Sinbad gel reasonably well together, but it really isn't any better than average... I just enjoy it from my younger years! 6/10

I don't know how you can watch so many movies each day... I think I would die :lol:
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Jan 2014 00:13

I'm off work until Tuesday, and sleeping about 2-4 hours a night. :lol:
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Paul_Lewis » 05 Jan 2014 00:26

Samuel_Scott wrote:Paranormal Activity 2 (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Not a bad follow-up, and I quite like these supernatural found footage type movies. There are plenty worse of them out there in this sub-genre than this. 6/10

I quite liked the second film when I saw it at the cinema, Sam. Some interesting ideas; tapped into quite a few of the fears I've experienced as a parent. (We lived in a 'haunted' house once :o . I was a devoted disbeliever in 'ghosts' until then.) The third film was so-so, and the fourth film was terrible (imo, of course).
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Jan 2014 01:01

Paul_Lewis wrote:
Samuel_Scott wrote:Paranormal Activity 2 (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Not a bad follow-up, and I quite like these supernatural found footage type movies. There are plenty worse of them out there in this sub-genre than this. 6/10

I quite liked the second film when I saw it at the cinema, Sam. Some interesting ideas; tapped into quite a few of the fears I've experienced as a parent. (We lived in a 'haunted' house once :o . I was a devoted disbeliever in 'ghosts' until then.) The third film was so-so, and the fourth film was terrible (imo, of course).

The deleted scene was actually a really good one and featured Hunter (the baby) going missing. The mother thinks he has fallen in the pool, but it turns out to be a toy, whilst Hunter has actually crawled into the road. It shows that fear and increases the tension about the 'goings on'. I have the third sitting here also, might watch it tomorrow.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 05 Jan 2014 01:42

Samuel_Scott wrote:I have the third sitting here also, might watch it tomorrow.

I think the third is the one I found the most creepy...
I haven't seen Tokyo Night.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 05 Jan 2014 03:58

300 (Canadian blu-ray steelbook) – first viewing: 7.5/10

Watched it once when it was first released on dvd. The blu-ray is worth the upgrade for the PQ and AQ.
While watching this visually stunning adventure, it looks as if you were watching a live graphic comic. A real feast for the eyes!
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 05 Jan 2014 15:57

The Conversation (UK Blu)
Hadn't really enjoyed this movie on my first viewing. Guess I was in a bad mood or sick (and the quality of the DVD was quite poor IIRC), because this is truly a masterpiece! 9/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 05 Jan 2014 16:09

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (Italian Blu-ray) – first viewing: 7.5/10

I saw it twice at the cinema, then twice on dvd years later – both the US non-anamorphic and UK anamorphic video releases. Of the four entries in the franchise, this is the slightly weaker one: more of a mystery than a mission. Not the kind we’ve been used to watching on tv. Perhaps, this is why many viewers are let down. The climax on top of the TGV is top notch directing, though.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 27 Jun 2015 05:27, edited 3 times in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Noor_Razzak » 05 Jan 2014 20:49

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony 7/10 watched this on Netflix... wow, speechless - had no idea that male fandom of a girl's children cartoon was a thing... but it is. It was a little disturbing at first, but then once you get into it and see why they are fans and have a connection with the show it doesn't seem so insane, despite the feminine nature of the show.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Jan 2014 23:48

The Blues Brothers (UK Blu-ray) - My second favourite film of all time (after The Goonies). I watch it probably 3-4 times a year and never get bored of it. 10/10

Wanted (UK Blu-ray) - Seen this a few times now and love the style and totally OTT and unrealistic action. A lot of fun. 8/10

Paranormal Activity 3 (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Another good, but not great entry into the series. Loved the scenes where the camcorder is on the fan. 6/10

The Bounty Hunter (UK Blu-ray) - A guilty pleasure. Nothing I have to add. :lol: 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 06 Jan 2014 01:27

Boardwalk Empire: Season 3 (US Blu)
Finally got over with it after a few days. This is a great series, but, for those who have the chance to watch this, this season may be the greatest of all! 9/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Lewis » 06 Jan 2014 08:23

Samuel_Scott wrote:Paranormal Activity 3 (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Another good, but not great entry into the series. Loved the scenes where the camcorder is on the fan. 6/10

I thought the business with the fan was pretty clever too, Sam: the restricted viewpoint really ratcheted the tension in that scene.

Vincent_Bouche wrote:
Samuel_Scott wrote:I have the third sitting here also, might watch it tomorrow.

I think the third is the one I found the most creepy...
I haven't seen Tokyo Night.

I'd have to watch it again to give a definite answer, but I recall enjoying TOKYO NIGHT very much.

Me:
DOOR TO SILENCE (Lucio Fulci, 1991). Didn't like this when I first saw it, but it's grown in me. It's a very morbid film, really a version of Ambrose Bierce's 'An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge'.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Jan 2014 22:27

Rush Hour 3 (UK Blu-ray) - The worst in the series, but still good fun. Jackie Chan is great as always, and Chris Tucker has grown on me in these movies. 3/5

The Devil Inside (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Quite disappointing. Some good ideas, but never utilised very well, and although I though the two priests were bearable, the lass and the cameraman weren't as likeable. 4/10

Jennifer's Body (UK Blu-ray) - I think a lot of people disliked this more because of Diablo Cody's writing style than anything else. I thought it was quite good to have a more female based horror like this, and Amanda Seyfried easily outshone Megan Fox. The PQ and AQ on the disc is pretty damn good. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 07 Jan 2014 00:00

The Witches (Le Streghe)
5 short strories about "witches", figuratively speaking. Quite a mixed bunch, two of the five stories (by Mauro Bolognini and Franco Rossi) are very very short, but quite funny. Among, the other three I find the Pasolini one to the best (but I usually enjoy Pasolini's ironic style...) and the other two (by Visconti and De Sica) were quite disappointing (even with Clint Eastwood), I wish they had been shorter - 5/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 07 Jan 2014 20:54

Lone Survivor
Rush
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Paul_Lewis » 07 Jan 2014 23:20

Samuel_Scott wrote:The Devil Inside (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Quite disappointing. Some good ideas, but never utilised very well, and although I though the two priests were bearable, the lass and the cameraman weren't as likeable. 4/10

I saw this at the cinema, and there was stuff I liked, but most of it was so hamfisted as to make the film deeply frustrating. Plus that ending... I saw that coming, checked my watch and saw only 80 minutes had passed, and thought, 'They must be kidding'.

Me:
MANIAC COP 3 (Alan Smithee, 1993). I love the first two, but this is a stinker - really unfocused and the 'scope photography adds absolutely nothing to the film. (In fact, I think it detracts from it: the film needed a more intimate sense of composition, I think.) The featurette on the new Blue Underground Blu-ray is enlightening and a great watch.

TWICE A JUDAS (Nando Cicero, 1969). Mediocre Italian Western. Little to say about this one.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 07 Jan 2014 23:33

Roxanne (UK DVD) - Been a long time since I saw this. Overrated IMO, but certainly has some funny moments such as the 20 nose jokes in the bar. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 08 Jan 2014 01:05

The Lords of Salem (US Blu)
Gothic, disturbing, daring, stylish, anticlerical... I can understand why this was never released theatrically in France :lol:
It falls short of being great due to the "very predictable" scenario - 6/10
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 09 Jan 2014 00:18

The Big One (UK DVD) - I'm a fan of Michael Moore, and think this is one of his more understated documentaries that still has a very big point to make. 8/10

Musketeers Forever (UK DVD) - Low budget action movie starring Michael Dudikoff and Lee Majors. Not very good, and a tired concept, but far from the worst in this sub-genre. 4/10

The Tie That Binds (TV) - Daryl Hannah and Keith Carradine are the highlights in what is an extremely predictable thriller. 5/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 09 Jan 2014 00:40

The Tower [Ta-weo] (TV)
The Korean "Towering Inferno", efficient, funny, dramatic... but again, nothing really new - 7/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion