Black Emmanuelle, White Emmanuelle - Severin DVD UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Black Emmanuelle, White Emmanuelle - Severin DVD UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 15 Jun 2021 10:54

Black Emmanuelle, White Emmanuelle (Velluto nero) (1976)

Severin DVD :

1. According to the onscreen menu, the English soundtrack is incomplete, so the missing parts are substituted with Italian soundtrack and English subtitles.
(I haven't checked it myself by watching it, but I assume it is true).

2. Depending on the soundtrack selected (English or Italian), it automatically selects either partial English subtitles (for the missing parts) or full English subtitles respectively. Either way, these are FORCED (cannot be turned off).

3. Total runtime is 94:06, but the last 3 seconds is black, so net runtime is 94:03

4. I am pretty sure it is simply a 30fps (interlaced) transfer, NOT a PAL -> NTSC conversion (Notes and CUTS section both need updating to reflect this).

Here's why I think this:

I checked some of the movie frame by frame. On my player it runs at 30fps (60Hz), and with de-interlacing switched on it repeats every 4th frame, expanding 4 frames -> 5 frames, which is the same as 24 -> 30. This also means the runtime is the same as it would be for 24fps.

source: I own it.

Note: this movie is due to be released on 6th July 2021 on Blu-ray from Full Moon Features under the title: Emanuelle: Black Velvet
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Black Emmanuelle, White Emmanuelle - Severin DVD UPDATED

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 15 Jun 2021 19:29

Updated
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 16 Jun 2021 07:48

Hi Eric -

A couple of things:

1. You have not included the fact that the subtitles are FORCED (full English for Italian soundtrack, partial English for Italian sections of English soundtrack, but FORCED either way).

2. The runtimes seem misleading to me - I think they should either be:

No cuts (94:06 NTSC) including three seconds of black screen.

or

No cuts (94:03 NTSC) plus three seconds of black screen.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 16 Jun 2021 10:13

Players are imprecise in time display and can add a second or more to the running time. The 94:03 timing comes from the bitrate viewer program which reads the video file itself on the disc.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 16 Jun 2021 10:46

Well I admit I know very little about disc authoring. Perhaps the disc instructs the player to play the movie and then play 3 seconds of black. But on my player it says the total runtime is 94:06.

I feel my point still stands, in that writing it as:

No cuts (94:03 NTSC) including three seconds of black screen

implies that the movie itself without the three seconds black is only 94:00, which it isn't, it's 94:03.

Also, the you haven't yet updated the subtitles as being forced. It makes little odds to me personally when watching the movie, as I don't understand much Italian so I would want the subtitles on anyway, but some people who do understand Italian might wish to view it in Italian with subtitles switched off, and they would find it useful to know that this is not an option.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 16 Jun 2021 10:50

Fixed.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests