Summer of Fear (Wes Craven, 1978) UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Summer of Fear (Wes Craven, 1978) UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 22 Jul 2021 10:36

Summer of Fear AKA Stranger in Our House (Wes Craven, 1978)

-------
DVD R2 UK Anchor Bay Entertainment

Confirmed as region 2 only.

AR is approx. 1.76:1 (it has very thin black bars on the left and right of the image). It is heavily cropped top and bottom compared with the Music Box Films / Doppelgänger Releasing Blu-ray (which is open matte).
(Therefore the uncut 1.33:1 DVDs such as the R1 Artisan Entertainment might be preferable, but I don't own any of them so I cannot be sure.)

This appears to be an NTSC -> PAL conversion.

Subtitles: English HOH

Extras:

Cast and crew biographies:
- Wes Craven (6 pages)
- Linda Blair (4 pages)

total runtime: 98:28 (NTSC -> PAL)
net runtime (minus opening and closing logos): 98:02 (NTSC -> PAL)

-------
Blu-ray A America - Music Box Films / Doppelgänger Releasing

Confirmed as region A locked.

AR is approx. 1.36:1 (open matte)

This release has approx. 5:40 of cuts compared with the R2 UK Anchor Bay Entertainment DVD (details below).

Extras:

Start-up Trailers:
- Eddie (2012) (2:20)
- 100 Bloody Acres (2012) (2:14)
- Alleluia (2014) (2:00) (in French with burnt-in English subtitles)

Exclusive Interview with Linda Blair (13:13)
Image Gallery (16 images)
Original Trailer (1:51)

total runtime: 92:37
net runtime (minus opening and closing logos): 92:22

Details of cuts on Blu-ray (compared with R2 UK Anchor Bay Entertainment DVD):

position on Blu-ray / position on DVD / duration of material cut from Blu-ray / description of material

Blu-ray position: 00:00:58 / DVD position: 00:01:01 / duration: 0:02 / continuous shot during POV driving scene (on the Blu-ray there is a jump cut during the shot)
Blu-ray position: 00:33:33 / DVD position: 00:33:38 / duration: 0:32 / Rachel has a dream/premonition of her and her friend Mike jogging and witnessing a car driving along a mountain road
Blu-ray position: 00:35:50 / DVD position: 00:36:27 / duration: 0:14 / extended scene of Rachel talking to her horse Sundance
Blu-ray position: 00:45:37 / DVD position: 00:46:28 / duration: 1:36 / Julia talks to her friend Carolyn as they get into and drive off in a car, then Rachel talks to her brother Tom
Blu-ray position: 00:48:36 / DVD position: 00:51:03 / duration: 3:16 / Rachel studies a book on witchcraft, then the Bryant family talk and argue in the lounge

Total duration of cuts: 5:40

In addition:

the Blu-ray has shorter opening logos (0:09 vs 0:12) - difference 0:03
the Blu-ray has shorter closing logos (0:06 vs 0:14) - difference 0:08

This brings the total difference in runtime to 5:51

-------
Note: According to the database, the R2 Germany - E-M-S DVD has a runtime of 88:41 PAL, which is equivalent to 92:23 at 24fps. This suggests that it is likely to have the same cuts as the Music Box Films / Doppelgänger Releasing Blu-ray, but I don't own it so I cannot be sure.

-------
Note: There is also a French Blu-ray release from Filmedia (probably region B locked), which is variously reported to be 100min or 98min in length, so it may be uncut, but according to one review it has forced subtitles on the English audio.

-------
sources:

DVD R2 UK Anchor Bay Entertainment - I own it
Blu-ray A America - Music Box Films / Doppelgänger Releasing - I own it

Blu-ray B France - Filmedia :

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Summer-o ... ray/28119/
https://www.amazon.fr/Summer-Fear-Blu-r ... 005GUINL2/
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Summer of Fear (Wes Craven, 1978)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 23 Jul 2021 11:48

UK Anchor Bay amazon ID: B0001EYROU
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Summer of Fear (Wes Craven, 1978)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 23 Jul 2021 12:01

Found a review of the French Blu-ray and it says the time is 92 minutes, but not detailed information.

Updated
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Summer of Fear (Wes Craven, 1978) UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 24 Jul 2021 09:25

Well the French release probably has forced French subtitles for the English soundtrack anyway, so is probably not a good choice for English speaking people wishing to view with the original English soundtrack.

On the DVD page, R2 United Kingdom - Anchor Bay Entertainment:

1. The text pages are biographies, and do not include filmographies.

2. Note that 98:02 is the net runtime. The total runtime with logos is 98:28. But in general the database seems to vary in whether releases are listed with the total runtime or net runtime, so I'll leave that to you to decide.

For some reason the Blu-ray page seems not to be accessible, so I haven't been able to check the update. Please can this be fixed?
Darrel_Griffin

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 24 Jul 2021 12:54

The French release's subtitles are unconfirmed.
Fixed the UK specs and Blu-ray page.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 25 Jul 2021 09:02

The DVD page seems fine.

A couple of minor things re: the Blu-ray page:

1.There is a stray bracket in the "Notes" section :

The "Alleluia" trailer is (in French with burnt-in English subtitles.

should be:

The "Alleluia" trailer is in French with burnt-in English subtitles.

2. In the "CUTS" section, you haven't mentioned that the DVD timings are for the R2 United Kingdom - Anchor Bay Entertainment. You might want to include this, but I'll leave that up to you.

But thanks for including the details of the cuts - it took me several hours to compile that list, so it's good to know it will hopefully be of use to others :-D

As for myself, I haven't properly watched the Blu-ray yet, but when I do I might run the DVD on a different player at the same time, and switch to it for the cut scenes. A bit complicated, but the Blu-ray picture is open matte and is also much better picture quality than the DVD.

I was thinking of mentioning the slight variation in capitalisation of the title between DVD and Blu-ray pages, but it seems you already fixed that - well spotted!
Darrel_Griffin

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests