Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972) - copyright notes

Corrections to existing comparisons can now be submitted here!

Moderator: Forum Team

Forum rules
  • Please keep the maximum number of correction threads you have open to three at a time.
  • Do not put UPDATE or UPDATED in the title of your submissions.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972) - copyright notes

Postby James_Armstrong » 23 Oct 2023 01:09

The copyright status notes has the following text:
This film has been copyrighted everywhere in the world except in the US, where it fell into the public domain from 1985-2000. Afterward, the rights were renewed in 2001 by Screen Media Ventures.
WARNING: There are a large number of pirated, supposedly public domain 'budget' releases of this film, released in the US after 2001, such as by Brentwood, Digicom TV, Direct Source, Dollar DVD, Osiris, Reel Vault, and others, with poor and/or cropped transfers.

This should be changed to:
Contrary to the view that it is public domain, this film is, and always has been, copyrighted.
WARNING: There are a large number of unauthorized, pirate DVD releases of this film. These include DVDs by ACME-TV (US), Artiflix (US), Beyond Classics (Australia), Brentwood Home Entertainment (US), Digicom TV (US), Digiview (US), Direct Source (US), Dollar DVD (US), Eastwest DVD (US), Echo Bridge Home Entertainment (US), Force Video (Australia), Oracle Home Entertainment (UK), Osiris Home Entertainment (US), Platinum Disc Corporation (US), RadioZET (Poland), Reel Vault (US), Treasure Box Collection (US), Westlake Entertainment Group (US), and others. Avoid them all, as they are barebones, and have poor and/or cropped transfers.

...as the film has never been public domain anywhere.
Last edited by James_Armstrong on 23 Oct 2023 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
James_Armstrong

Re: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972) - copyright note

Postby Brent_Reid » 23 Oct 2023 11:13

All the above mentioned releases are pirates and it would be wrong to describe them otherwise.

"This film has been copyrighted everywhere in the world except in the US, where it fell into the public domain from 1985-2000. Afterward, the rights were renewed in 2001 by Screen Media Ventures."
This listing footnote is completely false: the film has never been in the public domain anywhere. To enter the US public domain in 1985, it would have to have been released in 1957 and not had its copyright re-registered after the statutory 28-year term had expired.

The film's US copyright doesn't actually expire until 2067, 95 years after its theatrical release; in the rest of the world it expires 70 years after the death of "principal creator" lyricist Don Black, who is still alive.

I don't own either but the UK Oracle DVDs look every inch pirates too, so shouldn't be listed. Incidentally, they're identical so why the separate listings and not just a note saying "also reissued with a copy of the novel"? The same DVD was also given away with the Daily Express.

There's also a DVD from legit Hungarian label Cinetel Kft but I don't own it either, so don't have full specs.
Brent_Reid

Postby James_Armstrong » 23 Oct 2023 15:22

This listing footnote is completely false: the film has never been in the public domain anywhere. To enter the US public domain in 1985, it would have to have been released in 1957 and not had its copyright re-registered after the statutory 28-year term had expired.

The film's US copyright doesn't actually expire until 2067, 95 years after its theatrical release; in the rest of the world it expires 70 years after the death of "principal creator" lyricist Don Black, who is still alive.

See, this is why the whole world's copyright systems are extremely broken. They don't allow copyrighted works to expire for limited times (a la the US Founding Fathers' limited times as referenced to in Section 1, Paragraph 8 of the US Constitution), and instead have them expire for an indefinite amount of time, if they would want to. They also don't allow competition between studios and people over works (i.e. The Wizard of Oz (1939)) based on source materials that are public domain (i.e. L. Frank Baum's book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz), which are works that should be public domain by now if the copyright systems weren't so broken.

Also, current creators make money for their work while dead creators make billions of dollars for theirs in the US, which is one of the reasons why creative monopolies need to end.

If I had the choice, I'd propose that the copyright term worldwide should be around 15 to 20 years after the death of the creator, or around 45 years after release/publication date (like how the US copyright term was originally 14 years after the death of the author or 36 years after publication date), whichever expires first.
James_Armstrong

Postby Brent_Reid » 24 Oct 2023 15:33

Well you've gone off at a tangent, James, but as you mention it, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz entered the public domain in 1956, only 37 years after author L. Frank Baum's death. Since then, anyone has been free to exploit its title and contents in any way they wish, as countless people have.

As to the overall fairness of worldwide copyright laws, I don't necessarily agree with them either but the fact remains they're now fairer and more consistent than at any point in history. But all that's moot; the DVD listing in its current form is promoting piracy and misinformation, and needs correcting.
Brent_Reid

Postby James_Armstrong » 24 Oct 2023 18:08

but the fact remains they're now fairer and more consistent than at any point in history

That's false. Copyright with no competition between studios and the public and no noncommercial, nonprofit distribution of fanmade material (like custom-made Blu-ray Discs and DVDs - and ISO files of and case insert/label art for them - of works or original/alternate cuts of them that haven't had a proper - or any - BD or DVD release, and fan edits, which so far are illegal to distribute for both profit and nonprofit in the US) of copyrighted material (as long as the people they're distributing it to have an official physical or digital release of the material or are subscribed to a streaming service that has said copyrighted material) is, AFAIK, unfair copyright.

the DVD listing in its current form is promoting piracy and misinformation, and needs correcting.

I already have the copyright notes corrected.
James_Armstrong

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 31 Oct 2023 09:58

Source for the change?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 08 Feb 2024 10:35

The listing is still full of repetition and apparent pirates, as noted above. Are they going to be removed?
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 09 Feb 2024 00:37

James Armstrong never replied about his sources so no update was made. I'm too overwhelmed with looking into it myself but if anyone else can, please feel free to do so.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 11 Feb 2024 08:13

When you say "anyone else" do you mean members or moderators?

Either way, the listing can be easily cleaned up:

The film was shot in Todd-AO 35 (an anamorphic format) and its OAR is 2.35:1; all 1.33:1 releases are panned and scanned.

Its original (and only) sound mix is mono. All other "stereo" soundtracks are unofficial, poor quality remixes.

At least the Platinum, Oracle and RadioZET DVDs should be marked as "official status undetermined/possible boots" or similar.

The second Oracle DVD, bootleg or not, is a reissue so shouldn't have a separate listing.

As already explained, the copyright notes are demonstrably false and should removed, as should "released in the US after 2001" from the other footnote.

That's it!
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Feb 2024 08:18

Brent_Reid wrote:When you say "anyone else" do you mean members or moderators?

Both
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 11 Feb 2024 08:53

Well, I've just done it! See my previous comment: "Either way..."
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Feb 2024 15:30

Again, I'm not taking this one but for whoever is, for Brent and James A, sources please.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Comparison Corrections