The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (1973) Blu-ray

Corrections to existing comparisons can now be submitted here!

Moderator: Forum Team

Forum rules
  • Please keep the maximum number of correction threads you have open to three at a time.
  • Do not put UPDATE or UPDATED in the title of your submissions.

The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (1973) Blu-ray

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 30 Dec 2023 12:20

Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (The) AKA The Curse of Frankenstein AKA La Maldición de Frankenstein AKA The Rites of Frankenstein (Blu-ray) (1973)

---
Blu-ray A America - Kino Lorber [2015 Release]
Redemption Films #47

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
Cuts: no cuts (74:05), including Redemption logo (0:10) at start.
Extra: optional subtitles on trailer i.e.:
French Theatrical Trailer (3:23, in French with optional English subtitles)*

Source: I own it

---
Blu-ray B United Kingdom - Nucleus Films [2018 Release]
The European Cult Cinema Collection #01

Extras: optional subtitles on trailer i.e.:
French Theatrical Trailer (3:22, in French with optional English subtitles)

---
Note the small apparent difference in net runtime between these releases (for the French version):

73:50 - Kino Lorber DVD
73:55 - Kino Lorber Blu-ray
73:51 - Nucleus Films Blu-ray

It seems that the Kino Lorber DVD uses non-drop-frame timecode, meaning that, relative to its timestamp, it is running at 24.000fps, although in real-world time it will presumably be 23.976fps, with the player's clock running slightly slow.

The Kino Lorber Blu-ray uses drop-frame timecode, and runs at 23.976fps, with the player's clock displaying the correct real-world time.
However, the real-world runtimes of the Kino Lorber DVD and Kino Lorber Blu-ray are likely more or less identical.

The Nucleus Films Blu-ray uses non-drop-frame timecode, and runs at 24.000fps, both relative to its timestamp and in real-world time, with the player's clock displaying the correct real-world time.
Therefore, its real-world runtime is presumably a few seconds shorter than the other 2 releases, but it probably has exactly the same total number of frames, just with a slightly faster playback speed.

Background re: drop-frame timecode:

Disclaimer: As far as I can tell, there is no formal standard for drop-frame timecode at 24fps, but nevertheless it is sometimes used. Below is my understanding of how it works, to the best of my knowledge, but I cannot guarantee the details are correct.

For any "24fps" Blu-ray that uses drop-frame timecode, the clock drops 1 timecode frame for every 1000 frames of picture (i.e. 1 frame in approx. 41.7083 seconds).

e.g.:

with non-drop-frame timecode, it goes:
(hh:mm:ss:ff)
00:00:40:21
00:00:40:22
00:00:40:23
00:00:41:00
00:00:41:01

with drop-frame timecode, it goes:
(hh:mm:ss:ff)
00:00:40:21
00:00:40:22
00:00:40:23
00:00:41:01
00:00:41:02

(i.e. it misses out the "00:00:41:00")

Note that with drop-frame timecode, it doesn't actually miss out any frames of picture, it's just the clock that jumps.
This means that for a playback speed of 23.976fps, the timecode adjusts to (approximately) keep to real-world time.

With drop-frame timecode, the elapsed time as displayed on the player is increased by about 3.6 seconds per hour, compared with non-drop-frame timecode.
Darrel_Griffin

Re: The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (1973) Blu-ray

Postby Eric_Cotenas » 02 Jan 2024 17:01

The Nucleus Films Blu-ray uses non-drop-frame timecode, and runs at 24.000fps, both relative to its timestamp and in real-world time, with the player's clock displaying the correct real-world time.
Therefore, its real-world runtime is presumably a few seconds shorter than the other 2 releases, but it probably has exactly the same total number of frames, just with a slightly faster playback speed.

Does Nucleus include the Redemption logo? Presumably it doesn’t since Nucleus got it from Euro London (distributed by Screenbound/Odeon) while Kino either got the title sublicensed through Redemption or have just included it as part of the line pre-Kino Cult.
Eric_Cotenas
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 04 Jan 2024 11:24

No, the Nucleus release does not include the Redemption logo.

This accounts for 10 seconds out of the 14 seconds total runtime difference (Kino Blu-ray 74:05, Nucleus Blu-ray 73:51).

The remaining 4 seconds difference appears to be due to Kino using drop-frame timecode and Nucleus using non-drop-frame. They probably have exactly the same number of frames, but Kino runs at 23.976fps while Nucleus runs at 24.000fps.

So, if you were to run them side by side on 2 players, starting the Kino one after the Redemption logo, so both discs are synchronized at the first frame of the actual movie, the Kino disc would play very slightly slower, and would finish about 4 seconds later (in real-world time). The Kino player's clock would start about 10 seconds ahead, due to the Redemption logo at the start, but apart from that, the players' clocks would stay more-or-less in sync with each other (Kino staying 10 seconds ahead the whole time, but with no further drift), because the drop-frame timecode on the Kino disc would compensate for the slower frame rate.

If you were to use a 3rd player to play the Kino DVD, I think the picture would stay in sync with the Kino Blu-ray, but the Kino DVD player's clock would run slightly slow, ending about 4 or 5 seconds behind the Kino Blu-ray player's clock by the end of the movie (as the Kino DVD player's clock would run slow by about 3.6 seconds per hour).
Darrel_Griffin

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 20 Jan 2024 11:49

The following corrections haven't yet been made:

---
Blu-ray A America - Kino Lorber [2015 Release]
Redemption Films #47

Cuts: no cuts (74:05), including Redemption logo (0:10) at start.
Extra: optional subtitles on trailer i.e.:
French Theatrical Trailer (3:23, in French with optional English subtitles)*

---
Blu-ray B United Kingdom - Nucleus Films [2018 Release]
The European Cult Cinema Collection #01

Extras: optional subtitles on trailer i.e.:
French Theatrical Trailer (3:22, in French with optional English subtitles)

Darrel_Griffin

Return to Comparison Corrections