The Big Country (1958) UPDATED

Corrections to existing comparisons can now be submitted here!

Moderator: Forum Team

Forum rules
  • Please keep the maximum number of correction threads you have open to three at a time.
  • Do not put UPDATE or UPDATED in the title of your submissions.

The Big Country (1958) UPDATED

Postby Brent_Reid » 21 Jan 2024 22:05

Title: The Big Country
Region: 2
Releasing Studio: Koch
Case Type: Digipak
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Anamorphic?: Yes
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks: (If a silent film, also state score composer and performer) English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono and German Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): English and German (yes) (Add this to the BD)
Cuts: (and if you know it, precise run time) None (160:05)
Commentaries: Audio Commentary by Sir Christopher Frayling
Extras:
Isolated Score in Dolby Digital 2.0 mono (Add this to the BD)
Stills Gallery (40:29)
German Trailer (2:46)
English Trailer (2:46)
English TV Promo (0:53)

DISC TWO (DVD)
"Directed by William Wyler" documentary (55:46)
"Directed by William Wyler" interview outtakes
- Gregory Peck (8:08)
- Charlton Heston (7:29)
- Billy Wilder (6:22)
"Fun in the Country" featurette (5:03)
Interviews
- Cecilia, Carey & Tony Peck (11:55)
- Fraser C. Heston (10:37)
- Catherine Wyler (12:13)
- Larry Cohen (2:46)
Audio Archives
- Memoirs by Charlton Heston (recorded 1995) (14:30)
- Burl Ives on The Big Country (recorded 1985) (12:58)
- Documentary on composer Jerome Moross by William H. Rosar (48:30)
Image Archive
- William Wyler directs (6:00)
- The fight scene (1:12)
- The cast on location (3:36)
- Scenes (8:40)
- Portraits (1:44)
- Press kit (9:52)
- Original screenplay (37:10)
16-page German essay booklet: "Political Spaces: The Big Country and the Cinema of William Wyler" by Nicolai Bühnemann (Add this to the BD)

DISC Three (BD)

Notes: The documentary, interviews and featurette have optional German subtitles. Has a remastered and corrected transfer. Reissued as an Amazon-exclusive Digibook with a 22-page booklet (ASIN: B09WWGKDGT). (Add these to the BD)
Easter Eggs: None
Amazon ASIN (US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, or Spain): B093R5TKGL
Source:* Own it

I also have some corrections for the other listings, which I'll add afterwards, and I've just published a series of articles on the film.
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 11 Feb 2024 15:47, edited 8 times in total.
Brent_Reid

Re: The Big Country (1958)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 26 Jan 2024 08:48

Moving this to corrections.
Brent_Reid wrote:Isolated Score in Dolby Digital 2.0 mono (Add this to the BD)

So the Blu-ray has both a lossless DTS-HD MA isolated score and a lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 isolated score?
[/quote]
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: The Big Country (1958)

Postby Brent_Reid » 26 Jan 2024 13:45

No, I meant add the fact its lossless isolated score is, like the DVD, in mono.
Brent_Reid

Re: The Big Country (1958) FAO James

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Jan 2024 23:49

Thank you. Updated.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 29 Jan 2024 09:16

Perfect, ta! DVD corrections first:

I was going to say the DVD listing's strapline had a couple of typos, and to change it to the one on the BD listing, but I see you already caught it!

Are this site's ads returning? Assuming so, some missing MGM ASINs: Spanish B0053C89HG, Italian B000SL1PC8.

An 8-page booklet is listed on all MGM DVDs, bar the US, but it's a false assumption or copy/paste error. Delete all of them and add these notes to just two listings:

- UK: A limited edition reissue from publishers De Agostini was sold with a 14-page magazine and includes an 8-page booklet. [No ASIN]
- Italy: A limited edition reissue from publishers De Agostini has an 8-page booklet. [ASIN: B097Q148RB]

The former was translated for the latter; they're further detailed in my article linked above.

Add this footnote to the DVD comparison:

Also released with a remastered, uncropped transfer in:
- US by Kino Lorber
- UK by Final Cut
- France by Sidonis Calysta
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 29 Jan 2024 12:35, edited 4 times in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Jan 2024 11:36

Brent_Reid wrote:Are this site's ads returning? Assuming so, some missing ASINs: Spanish B0053C89HG, Italian B000SL1PC8.

Since Amazon did away with their sidestripe function for affiliates, it's broken millions of sites and blogs around the world now. Including ours. Looking for a way to fix it.
Brent_Reid wrote:An 8-page booklet is listed on all MGM DVDs, bar the US, but it's a false assumption or copy/paste error. Delete all of them and add these notes to just two listings:

That's how it was before so leaving it as is.
Brent_Reid wrote:- UK: A limited edition reissue from publishers De Agostini was sold with a 14-page magazine and included an 8-page booklet. [No ASIN]
- Italy: A limited edition reissue from publishers De Agostini has an 8-page booklet. [ASIN: B097Q148RB]

Updated.
Brent_Reid wrote:Add this footnote to the DVD comparison:

Added, but not sure about the cropping so just leaving it a "remastered".
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: The Big Country (1958) UPDATED

Postby Brent_Reid » 29 Jan 2024 12:41

One more footnote, for the Spanish MGM: Also issued in a limited edition 44-page Digibook. [No ASIN]

All the standard MGM DVDs listed were released in 2001 and had no booklets. The limited edition booklet versions were produced by De Agostini, not MGM, in 2004 (UK) and 2006 (Italy). It's all in my article and confirmed by De Agostini themselves.

Re the cropping, I own three BDs (and De Agostini's booklet/magazine DVD), and have checked it thoroughly. It's on every single shot; you can also see for yourself on Caps and Beaver.

Nonetheless, I meant to say, "Also released with a remastered, corrected transfer in..." Would you mind amending it, to match the Koch notes?

The SiteStripe issue affected my site too but I'm in the process of fixing it, and for the better! I've done a lot of research on this and nailed down all the options. Would you like to hear them or have you pretty much decided on a solution?
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Jan 2024 23:45

Brent_Reid wrote:One more footnote, for the Spanish MGM: Also issued in a limited edition 44-page Digibook. [No ASIN]

Source?
Brent_Reid wrote:All the standard MGM DVDs listed were released in 2001 and had no booklets.

Removed all mention of booklets.
Brent_Reid wrote:Nonetheless, I meant to say, "Also released with a remastered, corrected transfer in..." Would you mind amending it, to match the Koch notes?

Koch Media notes seem to be fine. Just "Reissued in an..." would mean that it was the same disc.
Brent_Reid wrote:The SiteStripe issue affected my site too but I'm in the process of fixing it, and for the better! I've done a lot of research on this and nailed down all the options. Would you like to hear them or have you pretty much decided on a solution?

If you could share your plans that would be very helpful. PM would be fine
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 30 Jan 2024 07:53

Here are some Spanish Digibooks... again, this is all in the article; I simply keep having to repeat it here!

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:Koch Media notes seem to be fine. Just "Reissued in an..." would mean that it was the same disc.

I meant could you amend the DVD listing footnote to:

Also released with a remastered, corrected transfer in:
- US/Canada by Kino Lorber
- UK by Final Cut
- France by Sidonis Calysta

Just noticed the UK DVD says it's from 2019 but that date is wrong and presumably copied from Amazon's listing for the 2001 DVD. Their dates are useful but can't be relied upon. The most recent UK reissue was a now deleted HMV exclusive from 2016.

I can't see the German ad but as it says 2005, presume it links here. If so, that DVD last sold exactly four years ago. This is the only other active German MGM DVD listing.

I was thinking of writing on my site about the Amazon ad issue, so rather than a PM I'll get on with it and let you know when it's up.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 30 Jan 2024 13:12

Brent_Reid wrote:Here are some Spanish Digibooks... again, this is all in the article; I simply keep having to repeat it here!

Updated.
Brent_Reid wrote:I meant could you amend the DVD listing footnote to:

It's fine as it is with "remastered". I can't devote too much time on this or the site for the next few months so I'll leave it at that instead of updating the entire page again. If someone else wants to do it they are welcome to though.
Brent_Reid wrote:Just noticed the UK DVD says it's from 2019 but that date is wrong and presumably copied from Amazon's listing for the 2001 DVD. Their dates are useful but can't be relied upon. The most recent UK reissue was a now deleted HMV exclusive from 2016.

Couldn't find any reliable date except for 2019 on various sites. Updated as 2001.
Brent_Reid wrote:I can't see the German ad but as it says 2005, presume it links here. If so, that DVD last sold exactly four years ago. This is the only other active German MGM DVD listing.

Not sure if it's a reissue or a third party entry for that second one, so we'll keep it as it is.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 30 Jan 2024 14:12

Here are all my BD corrections:

The Kino Lorber BD has SDH subtitles and its listing is missing:
- Animated image gallery I (2:32) 1080p - series of B&W production stills playing over the score
- Animated image gallery II (4:12) 1080p - series of colour production stills playing over the score
They should go between Larry Cohen... and the trailer.

The Kino and Sidonis Calysta BDs should also note, "Has a remastered and corrected transfer."

Every MGM BD has the equivocal note, "The image is said to be slightly stretched." The image is definitely stretched, due to a widely-reported mastering error, including by Kino Lorber themselves. It should be amended to "Has a stretched (and cropped) transfer." The same note also applies to every MGM DVD.

I know all the specs of the UK Final Cut BD bar the exact runtimes: it mirrors the Kino apart from being region B and omitting the TV spot and two animated image galleries. Does anyone else have it? If not, then add to the footnotes:

Also released with a remastered, corrected transfer in:
- UK by Final Cut

The confused footnote about the 1996 LaserDisc's "audio commentary" should be removed, as it's actually referring to Rosar's 48-minute audio doc included on the Koch extras DVD.
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 08 Feb 2024 23:54, edited 2 times in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 30 Jan 2024 15:04

Brent_Reid wrote:The Kino Lorber BD has SDH subtitles and its listing is missing:

Could you provide a screenshot to confirm, or someone else? I have some Kino Lorber Blu-rays and they seem to use standard English subtitles rather than HoH as far as I've seen. Confirmed that this has HoH cues like names and effects?
Brent_Reid wrote:- Animated image gallery I (2:32) 1080p - series of B&W production stills playing over the score
- Animated image gallery II (4:12) 1080p - series of colour production stills playing over the score

Added them.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 10 Feb 2024 00:58

The Kino subs are indeed dialogue-only and not SDH; I asked over at HTF.

Kino's reissues don't have "new artwork" as stated, just the previous reversible sleeve and an added slipcase. Amend the two notes to:

- Features a remastered transfer and reversible sleeve.
- Reissued in 2024 with a slipcase.

The vintage featurette is actually titled "Fun in the Big Country" and needs correcting on every release bar the Sidonis.

Title: The Big Country
Region: B
Releasing Studio: Final Cut
Case Type: Keep case
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Codec: (MVC, AVC MPEG-4, VC-1, MPEG-2, HEVC) AVC MPEG-4
For 4K HDR support: (SDR, HDR 10, HDR 10+, Dolby Vision support?)
Picture: (1080p/1080i 60/1080i 50 etc) 1080p
Soundtracks: (If a silent film, also state score composer or performer) English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono
Subtitles (are they optional?): Yes, English HoH (checked!)
Cuts: (and if you know it, precise run time) None (166:55)
Commentaries: Audio Commentary by Sir Christopher Frayling
Extras:
"Directed by William Wyler" documentary (58:13)
"Fun in the Big Country" featurette and three documentary interviews (28:13) - runs as a single programme
Interviews
- Cecilia, Carey & Tony Peck (12:26)
- Fraser C. Heston (11:05)
- Catherine Wyler (12:44)
- Larry Cohen (2:44)
Theatrical Trailer (2:55)
Notes:
Easter Eggs: None
Amazon ASIN (US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, or Spain): B09YDC98J6
Source:* Friend's copy
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Feb 2024 12:52

Brent_Reid wrote:Kino's reissues don't have "new artwork" as stated, just the previous reversible sleeve and an added slipcase.

Looks completely different to my eyes. Source that it uses the same artwork?
Brent_Reid wrote:The vintage featurette is actually titled "Fun in the Big Country" and needs correcting on every release bar the Sidonis.

Fixed.

Added the UK release. Thank you.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 11 Feb 2024 13:31

I'm genuinely curious as to how it can look "completely different" as there's nothing to distinguish either pressing; the discs even have the same 2018 file dates. Kino themselves have emphasised it's an identical repress to avoid folk assuming it's another remaster ahead of a 4k release (neither of which is going to happen).

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... %20confirm

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st21707881

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... st-5288115
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Feb 2024 15:12

Artwork looks completely different so our wording is correct and no further updates seem to be needed.
Unless you can show us pics or videos of the artwork of the older release that proves otherwise.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 11 Feb 2024 15:47

I don't understand; can you please explain exactly how the artwork looks different? You have links to Kino's own assertions it's the exact same release.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Feb 2024 23:17

You can tell by looking. The old release has the blue background while the new release is orange.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 11 Feb 2024 23:35

As has been noted on the Kino BD listing from the start, it has a reversible sleeve insert (different art on each side). The "cast lineup" image is from the original half sheet style A poster artwork, while the "orange" image is the one sheet style B poster art. Please click on the link: it has both posters captioned with references.

Both pressings of the BD have the same reversible sleeve with both images. The new slipcase on the BD has the style B art on the front and BD details on the back.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 11 Feb 2024 23:49

Source that the 2018 release has a reversible sleeve?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Next

Return to Comparison Corrections