DVD R1 - America - Inspector Gadget UPDATED

Corrections to existing comparisons can now be submitted here!

Moderator: Forum Team

Forum rules
  • Please keep the maximum number of correction threads you have open to three at a time.
  • Do not put UPDATE or UPDATED in the title of your submissions.

DVD R1 - America - Inspector Gadget UPDATED

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 06 Feb 2024 22:02

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... ?fid=518#1

Subtitles: English HoH only
AR: 1.85.1 - anamorphic
Runtime: 78:19
Extras:
"Go Inside Inspector Gadget" featurette (22:05)
Youngstown Music Video (3:31)
Theatrical Trailer (1:17)
Film Recommendations (2 pages) (no trailers, just the pictures of the dvd covers)
- George of the Jungle
- My Favorite Martian
- Mighty Joe Young
- Air Bud
- The Santa Clause
- Mr. Magoo
Christian_Bütikofer

Re: DVD R1 - America - Inspector Gadget

Postby Anthony_DiPaola » 13 Feb 2024 00:51

Anthony_DiPaola
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: DVD R1 - America - Inspector Gadget FAO Christian

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 13 Feb 2024 20:05

Well... this looks non-anamorphic to me: Image
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Anthony_DiPaola » 13 Feb 2024 21:55

I'll take your word for it, but are you sure your settings for that TV or the player are correct? Because people can modify/adjust the presentation by zooming in, I'm not saying you did but maybe you did for another non-anamorphic DVD and just forgot?

Because it wouldn't make sense for a DVD people have stated is non-anamorphic and suddenly find out it's the opposite.
Anthony_DiPaola
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 13 Feb 2024 22:20

I didn't do any tweaking. In fact, my player (Panasonic DP-UB450) and TV have very limited features for that anyway. Could it be that there exist different versions for this release? I remember something like this happened with other releases too (first pressing non-anamorphic, second anamorphic without a clear declaration). On the bottom of the cover it states: "Inspector Gadget is presented in its original theatrical aspect ratio, aproximately 1.85:1". This seems right, since it has in fact a little black rim all around (also left and right). So it is not "really" 1.85:1 anamorphic but way closer to an anamorphic format than pictures I saw that were non-anamorphic with big black bars all around.
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 13 Feb 2024 22:24

Something other is odd too: My release has no French subtitles. But in the link from DVDDizzy there it's written that the release has French subs. It could be a different release from Disney...
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Anthony_DiPaola » 13 Feb 2024 22:32

It could be...

Odd no one else was aware of it...

Could you share me pictures of the cover and disc art? And if possible, put the disc in the computer and see the dates for the digital files?
Anthony_DiPaola
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 13 Feb 2024 23:43

I did another check now: In PowerDVD (Version 19) it is non-anamorphic if I choose to use the original setting.

It's very odd: I own the non-anamorphic Universal release of "Two-Minute Warning" (http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/f ... fid=8008#1). It is shown in a non-anamorphic format, like I want it: My equipment is supposed to play everytime the original format, no tweaks. Then why does it show non-anamorphic "Inspector Gadget" "blown up" but "Two-Minute Warning" non-anamorphic?: Image

Btw, I have the same issue with the movie "B. Monkey". It was released by Miramax/Buena Vista at the time. It is from the early dvd days, like Inspector Gadget. On PowerDVD it is clearly non-anamorphic, but in my player, it is the same as Inspector Gadget. It has the same disclaimer "... aproximately 1.85:1..." on the cover.
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Anthony_DiPaola » 14 Feb 2024 00:33

Anamorphic on one player and non-anamorphic on something else. That is the weirdest thing I've seen a DVD ever do.

Well, I can add the specific (runtimes on the film and) extras, but the video and audio specifications have to still stand. Is that alright?
Anthony_DiPaola
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 14 Feb 2024 01:08

Yes, this is the best solution, I guess. Also correct the subtitles: There are no French subtitles.
Christian_Bütikofer

Re: DVD R1 - America - Inspector Gadget UPDATED

Postby Anthony_DiPaola » 14 Feb 2024 01:29

Many thanks and for your cooperation throughout all of this! Updated. :)

Incidentally, this is an underrated movie (never saw the whole thing in full myself, but I didn't think it was bad). I remember going to McDonald's on a regular basis to get all the toys to build Inspector Gadget. Ironically, all the pieces are now missing!
Anthony_DiPaola
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 14 Feb 2024 19:25

Hey, no problem. We here in Switzerland never had the hype about Inspector Gadget ,-) - actually I knew about it but only as an animated series. I like Broderick as an actor, that's why I bought it in the first place ;-). What really wonders me is this phenomenon about the non-anamorphic thing. Maybe James knows something about it? I swear: The settings are the same in my tv and player. And I did every precaution that my player and tv don't do any unwanted "optimization"... It is startling for me that as I said: Inspector Gadget is not the only movie where this happens. I have two examples, which I wrote, both from ultimately Disney factories: In PowerDVD on the computer: Yes: non-anamorphic. On my screen: Full screen, or say practically 1.85:1. With this same note on the back cover. Every other non-anamorphic release I own - from Universal (US release, R1 for Two-Minute Warning) and other companies (Germany): It is non-anamorphic, as declared. Since I am only a "user" and lack knowledge about technical details: Maybe I am missing something? As said, I guess James Masaki-Ryan knows more about this? If you have the time: Ask him about this, it would interest me a lot.
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby Christian_Bütikofer » 14 Feb 2024 19:52

btw: Both movies "Inspector Gadget" and "B. Monkey" have this "Wide Screen" claim on the spine: Image
Christian_Bütikofer

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Feb 2024 23:52

I'm not sure if it's a similar issue, but I have the Warner Charles Chaplin DVDs, which all films are non-anamorphic 1.33:1. But the discs seem to be mistakenly flagged to "zoom" on widescreen monitors so the image looks cropped from top to bottom. Not sure what is going on with "Inspector Gadget" here.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Comparison Corrections