The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Blu Ray All UK DONE

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Blu Ray All UK DONE

Postby Alister_Manson » 27 Jan 2015 02:09

Title: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Region: ALL
Releasing Studio: MGM
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Picture Format: 1080p 24fps AVC MPEG-4
Soundtracks:
- English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- English Dolby Digital 1.0 Mono
- Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
- French DTS 5.1
- German DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 Mono
- Portugese Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles: English HOH, Spanish, French, Danish, Dutch, Suomi, German, Norwegian, Portugese, Swedish,

Cuts: No Cuts - Extended Version (178:36)

Commentaries:
Audio Commentary with film historian Richard Schickel (optional subtitles: English, French, Dutch, German)
Audio commentary with Leone biographer Christopher Frayling (optional subtitles: English, French, Dutch, German)

Extras:
- Leone's West - featurette (19:55)
- The Leone Style - featurette (23:48)
- The Man Who Lost the Civil War - featurette (14:23)
- Reconstructing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - featurette (11:09)
- Il Maestro - Ennio Morricone and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Part One - featurette (7:48)
- Il Maestro - Ennio Morricone and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Part Two: An in-depth audio analysis (by music scholar Jon Burlingame) of the unforgettable score for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" featurette (12:25)
Deleted Scenes:
- "Extended Tuco Torture scene" (7:15)
- "The Sorocco Sequence: A Reconstruction from production stills and from the film's French trailer" (3:02)
Vignettes:
- "Uno, Deu, Tre" (0:40)
- "Italian Lunch" (0:43)
- "New York Actor" (0:09)
- "Gun in Holster" (0:59)
Trailers:
- Original Theatrical Trailer (HD) (3:21)
- French Trailer (3:30)
-

Notes: All extras in SD unless noted. Starts with MGM 90th Anniversary Trailer. Remastered version from new 4k scan.

Amazon ASIN : B00JQ8HW7G

Source: Own disc
Alister_Manson

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Blu Ray All UK IN PROGR

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Jan 2015 15:07

I have the US remastered disc which has its controversy as the original pressing had the English mono track, but was a downmix of the 5.1 track.
The later pressings, including the single-disc edition removed this track and put the original mono track without any kind of announcement.

Question, the UK disc you have, does it have the original English mono track with the old sound effects, or does it have the downmix track?
(Easiest place to tell: at 5:35 with the gunshots and the glass shattering, are they new sounding effects or 1960's sounding effects?
Also when did you purchase the disc?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Blu Ray All UK FAO: Ali

Postby Alister_Manson » 28 Jan 2015 19:51

I just got it on Tuesday. It seems the older version's downmixed mono track was in 2.0 dual mono, but this one is 1.0 true mono. Just checked that scene and the sound effects are definitely different, glass breaking sounds quite dull. I also checked the scene at 14:32 where the guy gets shot and the gunshot sound is very noticably louder and punchier on the 5.1 track, so this must be the original mono mix.
Alister_Manson

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Jan 2015 22:50

Could you tell me what is written on the disc you have?

On the US disc with the "correct" mono track, on the inner ring of the disc it is written 9193 V2, while the version with the remixed mono track doesn't have a "V2" written.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Alister_Manson » 29 Jan 2015 00:31

I'll check it out when I get home, that's about 6 hours away though :lol:
Alister_Manson

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Jan 2015 01:28

That's cool.
I could add the German and French 4K Remastered editions, but I don't have any confirmation of their mono audio track, whether it's the remix or the original mix.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Alister_Manson » 29 Jan 2015 02:18

Do they have matching specs? The German DTS-HD track on my disc is also true mono, not a downmix.

I'm assuming the reason the original remastered version was replaced is that someone screwed up and put the wrong audio tracks on it, since the inital pressings seem to match the original release.
Alister_Manson

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Jan 2015 07:37

The german mono track has the old original sound effects.
Apparentley, the old original mono track was finalized and delivered to MGM in late June, after the remastered disc already came out. MGM decided to quietly replace the discs, as I got the trilogy from the US a month or so afterward, and it has the correct original mono.

The specs, menus, barcode are exaclty the same. The only difference is the V2 mark on the inner ring of the disc.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Alister_Manson » 29 Jan 2015 07:40

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:Could you tell me what is written on the disc you have?

On the US disc with the "correct" mono track, on the inner ring of the disc it is written 9193 V2, while the version with the remixed mono track doesn't have a "V2" written.

Okay got it now, this one has a completely different matrix code to the US one, it's L1 FW15813BDSE/2.6 V02 BOP on the inner ring, LO FW15813BDSE/1.5 V02 MOG on the outer ring, IPFI L018. Any idea if the old version had different audio specs on the back cover? This one has all specs correctly matching the disc contents.
Alister_Manson

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 29 Jan 2015 14:10

No changes to the packaging at all apparently. MGM kept this hush-hush. But I see confirmations that the US release had problems, but so far no info about the UK edition having the incorrect mono. For the time being, I will note that the UK edition comes with the original mono track, and the US release will have a note about the mono track discrepancy. Thanks for checking!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests