Ten AKA Dah (2002) R2 UK ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Ten AKA Dah (2002) R2 UK ADDED

Postby baggish » 04 Apr 2018 23:28

New DVD for the database
Director: Abbas Kiarostami

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301978

Title: Ten AKA Dah
Region: R2
Releasing Studio: Optimum Releasing
Case Type: Keep case
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Anamorphic?: No
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks:
- Farsi Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
Subtitles: English (forced)
Cuts: None http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/10-2002-0
Duration: 89:01
Commentaries:
Extras:
- Text biography of Abbas Kiarostami
- Trailers for “Man Without a Past” (2:15), “He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not” (0:58), “Lost in La Mancha” (1:33) and “Lawless Heart” (1:56)
Notes:
ASIN: B000096KKJ B01I075YAA
Sources:
- I borrowed the DVD from the library

US release: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/ten.htm
The US release includes the 83-minute documentary “10 on Ten” as an extra. This is/was available in the UK on Artificial Eye’s “Taste of Cherry” (http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=3776), and they later released it as a standalone release (Amazon B00VVJ9YL0). Around the same time (2011), AE also released “Ten” itself (Amazon B00VVHCDW4). Optimum’s release is from 2003.
baggish

Re: Ten AKA Dah (2002) R2 UK

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 08 Apr 2018 10:27

DVDBeaver says the UK and US DVDs have optional English subtitles. But found a review for the US release saying they "cannot be removed" but not clear on whether forced or burned-in.

The screenshot of the UK DVD has the same font, same text as the US subtitles, which makes me assume that they are both burned-in, rather than forced subtitles.

baggish, the subtitles are forced and not burned-in for the UK disc?

As for the Artificial Eye "standalone" DVDs, they were never issued as standalones and only available in the 6-DVD boxset of Kiarostami's work. Those Amazon listings are just the releases people are reselling separately.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Ten AKA Dah (2002) R2 UK FAO baggish

Postby baggish » 08 Apr 2018 11:36

Hi James

Re subtitles: I don't really know how to tell the difference between forced and burnt-in. I'm going to guess they are burnt-in because there's no separate stream for subtitles shown in the media information in VLC. They are not removable, so DVDBeaver is not correct on that point.

Cheers!
baggish

Re: Ten AKA Dah (2002) R2 UK FAO baggish

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 08 Apr 2018 14:21

The easiest way to tell if they are forced or burned-in:

When you fastforward the movie, if the subtitles disappear they are forced subtitles.
If the subtitles remain while fastforwarding the movie, then they are burned-in.

But as you said there isn't a separate stream, seems burned-in is the answer. Thank you!

Another minor point, I will add this as "Farsi" as the language, though I assumed our site would write "Persian" for the audio language. Seems all other Kiarostami titles in our database is labeled "Farsi" so I have just added it with that.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Ten AKA Dah (2002) R2 UK ADDED

Postby baggish » 08 Apr 2018 20:40

Not surprisingly, the fast-forward test also shows that subtitles are burned-in. I'll bear that test in mind for the future, thanks!

A lot of the Kiarostami (and other Iranian film) UK specs probably came from me: I've always said the language is Farsi, mostly because I'm unaware of any site guidelines of how languages should be named (and, as you say, because it's nice to be consistent).

Cheers!
baggish

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests