Black Cat (Hak mau) 1991 Blu-ray ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: Black Cat (Hak mau) 1991 Blu-ray ADDED

Postby Scott_Napier » 19 Mar 2022 14:24

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:Specs taken from here:
https://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassu ... vid=469862

Thought it might be a 1080i50 transfer, but the notes say that it is in fact 24fps.

No, it'll be either 23.976 or 24. It was a 4K scan and a 2K restoration, by the way.

It doesn't state anything is cut, so presumably it is an improper transfer of a 25fps master to 24fps without adjusting the speed, like an HD PAL to NTSC transfer.

As I've said, frame cuts can take a chunk out of the running time (like the Shaw titles), and this was certainly the case here. I was told by the powers that be the Chinese master was modelled to an older master (which we didn't receive). Whoever submitted that entry on OFDB was presumably unaware.

Separately, the audio on Panorama was taken from a PAL-speed DigiBeta; the laboratory responsible for mastering these 2K versions didn't slow the speed properly (only adjusting the tempo and not the pitch).

We used the longer English-language ProRes provided (no frame cuts, except for one bit in which we obtained raw scans and had restored locally) and synchronised the Cantonese soundtrack from an external source.
Scott_Napier

Re: Black Cat (Hak mau) 1991 Blu-ray ADDED

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 19 Mar 2022 14:48

Since there's no AB comparison I just stated "unknown cuts" for the Hong Kong release.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Previous

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests