Battlefield Earth Japan Blu-Ray ADDED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Battlefield Earth Japan Blu-Ray ADDED

Postby David_Purley » 30 Dec 2023 12:20

Just wanted to add the Japan Blu-ray to the Battlefield Earth page and add some thoughts on cuts: https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=55560

Title: Battlefield Earth
Region: All
Releasing Studio: Gaga
Case Type: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Codec: AVC MPEG-4
Picture: 1080p
Soundtracks: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Surround
Subtitles (are they optional?): Japanese (optional)
Cuts: Theatrical (1:57:40)
Commentaries: No
Extras: "Evolution and Creation" featurette (16:15)
"John Travolta's Alien Makeup Test" featurette (2:12)
"Creative Visual Effects" featurette (2:32)
Storyboard Montage (7:49)
Trailers (with Play All):
- US Theatrical Trailer (1:56)
- Japanese Theatrical Trailer (1:48)
- US TV Spots (0:48)
- Japanese TV Spot (0:17)
Production Notes (Text in Japanese)
Notes: Extras in English with Japanese subtitles, forced on Evolution and Creation featurette
Easter Eggs: No
Amazon ASIN (US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, or Spain): B00R7M61DO Japan
Source:* Own it

The Japanese BD is the same cut as the US BD, and what I believe to be the Theatrical version. The German BD is the same cut as the (uncut) UK DVD and what I believe to be the Edited for Home Video version.

The specific changes you list originating on imdb are much more extensive in actual fact. I have not done an exact comparison myself but a post on blu-ray.com describes them and I have checked a few and they seem accurate (https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=20401149&postcount=277)

"Off the top of my head, the major changes made for the DVD cut are:
- Added the introductory text crawl
- More establishing footage of the human village at the start.
- More bits with the humans exploring the abandoned city, calling statues 'frozen' gods.
- Brief bit added where Barry Pepper walks into a glass wall and smacks his head.
- Removed the first bar scene where Travolta's character blackmails the bartender.
- Added more footage of the captured humans fighting back when they're being hosed down by the aliens.
- Removed a line from one of the aliens remarking that it's harder to shoot humans in the head than in their limbs
- Scene were Travolta and Whitaker's characters argue over whether or not humans can fly before throwing one off a cliff was removed entirely.
- Removed Travolta's remark that humans love uncooked rat so much that they eat it slowly.
- Removed a line from Travolta where he taunts that 'plenty of recipes for uncooked rat' can be found in the library.
- After the cow-shooting scene when Travolta's character has been disarmed, a short conversation in alien language was removed.
- Removed Kelly Preston's character threatening to blackmail Travolta, as well as his dismissive reply about 'females' being incapable of 'getting leverage'.
- Removed some of the shots of Travolta reacting to the malfunctioning cockpit as they fly to the gold mines.
- Additional dialogue between the humans as they come up with the plan to steal gold from Ft. Knox
- Added scene where the humans are confused that they can't see the 'lines' from the map they're using as they fly to D.C.
- In the theatrical cut, the humans first break into Ft. Knox, and then into Ft. Hood. The SE reverses the order of the scenes. A remark about only having seven days to learn how to fly was removed to accommodate the change in timeline.
- Shortened the scene where they break into Ft. Knox, but added a close-up of Barry Pepper's character examining a bar of gold.
- After one of the humans calls the fighter planes 'flying spears', a sarcastic remark from one of the other humans was added.
- Added scene where the humans search for instructions on how to use the nuclear bomb. Theatrical version has a shorter scene with alternative takes where they simply tinker around with the bomb.
- The climactic battle scenes are arranged in a different order. SE misses out on a few shots, but has one or two of its own unique shots of the aliens walking around."

Regarding the specific reference "In the nightclub scene with Ms. Terl she promises that Terl will be "as happy as a baby Psychlo on a steady diet of kerbango". In the theatrical release the line she delivered was differently phrased and ended in "as happy as a baby in a crib full of Kerbango." In all of the BD/DVD versions the line is "as happy as a baby Psychlo on a straight diet of kerbango". This would mean that if the theatrical cut had the different version of the line the version on the Japanese and Mill Creek BDs would not be the theatrical version. There is a comment in one of the extras that the theatrical version contained a close up shot of a drone that was removed in the home video version and I haven't specifically found that shot in the BD versions, although I might have missed it.

Making sense of all this, I might suggest that the Japan and US BDs are described as the Theatrical Version and the German BD described as the Edited for Home Video version and that the specific changes currently listed are dropped for clarity? It would be nice to get a movie-censorship comparison to settle it once and for all!
David_Purley

Re: Battlefield Earth Japan Blu-Ray

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 05 Jan 2024 05:41

David_Purley wrote:Notes: Extras in English with Japanese subtitles, forced on Evolution and Creation featurette

The rest of the extras have optional Japanese subtitles?
How about the Japanese trailer and TV spots? I imagine they would have burned-in subtitles?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby David_Purley » 05 Jan 2024 20:35

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:The rest of the extras have optional Japanese subtitles?
How about the Japanese trailer and TV spots? I imagine they would have burned-in subtitles?

"Evolution and Creation" featurette - Burned in Japanese subs
"John Travolta's Alien Makeup Test" featurette - Optional Japanese subs
"Creative Visual Effects" featurette - Optional Japanese subs
Storyboard Montage - Optional Japanese subs (captions only as no spoken soundtrack)
Trailers - No subtitle option on either US or Japanese trailers
David_Purley

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 06 Jan 2024 00:05

David_Purley wrote:"Evolution and Creation" featurette - Burned in Japanese subs

So this one is burned-in, not forced as you said before?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby David_Purley » 13 Jan 2024 17:32

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:
David_Purley wrote:"Evolution and Creation" featurette - Burned in Japanese subs

So this one is burned-in, not forced as you said before?

Forgive the delay in replying and my confusion, no they are forced as I originally said.
David_Purley

Re: Battlefield Earth Japan Blu-Ray FAO David

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 14 Jan 2024 14:48

Added and updated. Thank you.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests