Sinister Films

In an effort to weed out bootlegs from the database and prevent new ones, those threads that fit the bill can be created or moved here.

Moderator: Forum Team

Sinister Films

Postby Rick_Curzon » 28 Mar 2021 22:42

I've just corrected the winner for Crescendo (1969) because someone has removed the Italian Sinister Films release completely. I assume this is because of the allegations that the company is a bootleg company. Have we deleted all of their releases? I've said this before and I'll say this again, it's a mistake. We should have a new field where if a release is a bootleg it can highlighted and the users can decided whether they want to purchase it. Especially if they're widely available on all Amazons.
Rick_Curzon
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Blu-ray - Germany - Silent Night, Bloody Night AKA Death

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Mar 2021 23:36

Rick_Curzon wrote:I've said this before and I'll say this again, it's a mistake. We should have a new field where if a release is a bootleg it can highlighted and the users can decided whether they want to purchase it. Especially if they're widely available on all Amazons.

Users should decide NOT to purchase bootlegs and we shouldn't be pointing them in the direction of bootleg releases.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Rick_Curzon » 29 Mar 2021 06:19

Is Sinister confirmed as a bootleg company?
Rick_Curzon
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ulrich_Christensen » 06 Apr 2021 18:38

Rick_Curzon wrote:Is Sinister confirmed as a bootleg company?

No, Sinister Films releases were hidden by me pending an investigation. Apologies for not communicating that. I did not change any notes, since I was waiting for confirmation.

Currently, all I have gotten is a "might be" / "looks like, but cannot say without looking at specific titles", which is a far cry from the 100% proof I was promised.
I have told Brent_Reid to get back to me with a list of confirmed titles (or more solid proof), and I'd restore the rest. But I have not had a response on my message of March 21st. I think I have been patient enough, but I haven't even heard a "I'll get back to you", since he provided the first so-called "proof" on March 13th.

On the contrary, Mark_Meakin has provided me with information that might point to it being legitimate being associated with well-known Italian director Luigi Cozzi (and friend of Dario Argento). Sometimes being able to release high quality releases before anyone else.
I have likewise asked Mark to get back to me regarding some of the releases in his possession to find out, whether there is anything dodgy to tell.

Unless I hear something definitive, I'll restore the whole lot!

I neither want to serve bootleggers or some overzealous person in this regard.
I am not asking much. Just some tangible direct statement by an official licensor that can't be questioned or visual proof of something obviously dodgy.
Ulrich_Christensen
Rewind Administrator
Rewind Administrator

Re: Sinister Films

Postby Ulrich_Christensen » 06 Apr 2021 19:05

I have just restored all of Sinister Film. If anyone has proof either way, please provide, and we'll act on that.
Ulrich_Christensen
Rewind Administrator
Rewind Administrator

Re: Sinister Films

Postby Mark_Meakin » 05 May 2021 15:45

Ulrich_Christensen wrote:I have just restored all of Sinister Film. If anyone has proof either way, please provide, and we'll act on that.

I've added a new Sinister Film release today, but as a suspected bootleg till confirmed otherwise.
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Bootleg Investigations