Merry Christmas (2005) BD FAO James

A place to post your own comparisons for inclusion in our database. For more info, please read the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Forum Team

Merry Christmas (2005) BD FAO James

Postby Brent_Reid » 16 Nov 2023 12:18

Title:
Region: 0
Releasing Studio: Art Vision
Case Type: Slim keep case
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Codec: (MVC, AVC MPEG-4, VC-1, MPEG-2, HEVC): AVC MPEG-4
For 4K HDR support: (SDR, HDR 10, HDR 10+, Dolby Vision support?)
Picture: (1080p/1080i 60/1080i 50 etc): 1080p
Soundtracks: (If a silent film, also state score composer or performer): Chinese Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo (unlisted), French/German/English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and French DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles (are they optional?): Yes, Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin, unlisted), English, French, Japanese, Korean and Spanish (unlisted)
Cuts: (and if you know it, precise run time) None (115:52)
Commentaries: Yes, with writer/director Christian Carion and producer/extra Christophe Rossignon
Extras:
- Interview with writer/director Christian Carion (16:21)
- Nine deleted scenes and alternative ending (with or without audio commentary) (14:29)
- 2005 interviews with two French and one British WWI soldiers. (11:01)
- Days of Glory (2006) German trailer (1:54)
Notes: There are two separate sets of subs and dubs, both labelled "Chinese"; I assume they're Cantonese and Mandarin. The commentaries are in French with no subtitles. All other extras bar the trailer have one set of optional Chinese subtitles. The sleeve and disc incorrectly state it's region A. Comes in embossed slipcase.
Easter Eggs: None
Amazon ASIN (US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, or Spain):
Source:* Own copy

The German BD note should be altered to: "The commentaries are in French with no subtitles."

There's a typo in the director's name at the top of both listings.
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 27 Jan 2024 12:10, edited 5 times in total.
Brent_Reid

Re: Merry Christmas (2005) BD

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 20 Nov 2023 14:29

Brent_Reid wrote:Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin, unlisted),

Could you be more specific, please?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Merry Christmas (2005) BD FAO Brent

Postby Brent_Reid » 21 Nov 2023 12:08

They're unlisted anywhere on the packaging or menus but come up when clicking through the options.
Brent_Reid

Re: Merry Christmas (2005) BD

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 21 Nov 2023 12:16

Brent_Reid wrote:Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin, unlisted),

i mean could you be specific in which languages are available? Is it one Chinese subtitle track? Two separate? Which languages specifically?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 21 Nov 2023 16:43

There are two separate sets of subs and dubs, both labelled "Chinese". I'm assuming they're Cantonese and Mandarin, although I don't know which is which. If you need screenshots of the subs for IDing, it'll take a little while but uploading audio samples somewhere will be difficult.
Brent_Reid

Re: Merry Christmas (2005) BD FAO James

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 22 Nov 2023 13:14

Just screenshots of the subtitles are fine. Please update the main post with the audio and subtitles..
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 25 Jan 2024 07:49

I've temporarily added some photos to the bottom of this page. I meant to supply two of each but the photographer didn't follow my instructions properly, so there are only three...
Brent_Reid

Re: Merry Christmas (2005) BD FAO James

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 25 Jan 2024 16:05

Brent_Reid wrote:Soundtracks: (If a silent film, also state score composer or performer): Chinese Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo (unlisted), French/German/English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and French DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles (are they optional?): Yes, Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin, unlisted), English, French, Japanese, Korean and Spanish (unlisted)

Notes: There are two separate sets of subs and dubs, both labelled "Chinese"; I assume they're Cantonese and Mandarin.

You only listed one Chinese audio track. Are there two or only one? If there are two, you should list them separately. Same goes for the subtitles.

As for the screenshots, judging from the font it seems the first and third are from the same subtitle track, which is simplified Chinese.
The second has a different font, but unfortunately 我的兄弟 is a phrase that is written in identical form in both simplified and traditional Chinese so it's not clear if this is traditional, or just simplified Chinese in an alternate font. Could you take another screenshot and if possible, of the same line of dialogue so it would be easier to compare.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 27 Jan 2024 12:08

I won't be able to get a photo of the same line of dialogue, as I just skipped to a random place in the film and wouldn't know the line without scrutinising every subtitle, which I can't read anyway. Plus, I had to ask a friend to take those photos with their smartphone (I don't have one) and it took months just to sort that out. Is it ok for me to delete the current photos from my site?

It's great this site's spec requirements are so much higher than in the early days but sometimes the perfect can be the enemy of the good. How about simply listing them both as "Chinese (undetermined)." Let's face it: how many Chinese-speaking visitors is the listing ever likely to have that are looking for that info?

Alternatively just park the comparison here until I get my PC's BD drive set up, so I can take some proper screenshots. But that may also be a good while.

So much faff; if nothing else, this has taught me never to attempt listing anything with East Asian languages again!
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 Jan 2024 15:32

Brent_Reid wrote:Is it ok for me to delete the current photos from my site?

Sure. Not a problem to delete them.
Brent_Reid wrote:It's great this site's spec requirements are so much higher than in the early days but sometimes the perfect can be the enemy of the good. How about simply listing them both as "Chinese (undetermined)." Let's face it: how many Chinese-speaking visitors is the listing ever likely to have that are looking for that info?

In the past we had some comparisons that listed things like "Subtitles: English and others" in a very lazy format and we've been trying to update entries such as that with clearer info. As for Chinese, it is frustrating for Chinese speakers as the vast majority will only know how to write in one form depending on where they're from (Simplified for most of modern mainland China / Traditional for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, pre-cultural revolution Mainland China) so it can mean a lot by having that info.
Brent_Reid wrote:Alternatively just park the comparison here until I get my PC's BD drive set up, so I can take some proper screenshots. But that may also be a good while.

Hopefully soon. I'm also surprised you don't even have a standard digital camera to take photos with.
Brent_Reid wrote:So much faff; if nothing else, this has taught me never to attempt listing anything with East Asian languages again!

I'd rather have this more as a learning experience than a deterrence to contributing a listing for the site.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Your Comparisons