What did you watch today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

What did you watch today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Dec 2013 00:31

Today's viewings for me:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (French Blu-ray) - 7/10 - Second viewing of this movie. Not my favourite Fincher film, but I do enjoy it. Just has a couple of pacing issues.

The Disappearance of Alice Creed (UK Blu-ray) - 7/10 - First viewing. Surprisingly good thriller, and I thought all three British cast members did a great job here.

All in Good Time (UK Blu-ray) - 6/10 - First viewing. Always loved Meera Syal since Goodness Gracious Me. This had plenty of funny moments, and I find a lot of these Indian films set in the UK to be interesting. Unfortunately, the story is not as good as the cast.

The Polar Express (UK Blu-ray) - 6/10 - Third viewing. Good fluff for this time of year, but with the quality we have been getting from DreamWorks and Pixar these days, it kind of suffers in comparison.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: What did you watch today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 25 Dec 2013 00:45

Today's viewings:

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (UK Blu-ray) - second viewing - Enjoyed this one at the cinema, but this was my first viewing on Blu-ray. I'm not a fan of Steve Carrell at all, but here he hit all the right spots. Surprisingly good, and a little underrated IMO. 7/10

The Debt (USA Blu-ray) - first viewing - Helen Mirren and Tom Hiddlestone. What's not to like? Enjoyable spy thriller with a great cast. 7/10

3D Safari Africa (USA Blu-ray) - first viewing - Some great depth in the 3D and some stunning footage of the African wildlife (without gimmicky pop-outs). I also found Hunter Ellis to be a good host. 7/10

Twelve O'Clock High (USA Blu-ray) - second viewing - Gregory Peck is excellent in this WII film which is more about leadership than bravery. 8/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 26 Dec 2013 00:51

Today's viewings:

MirrorMask (Finnish Blu-ray) - First viewing - Loved the style, but it was your typical good vs evil fantasy film outside of that. 6/10

Step Up 3D (UK 3D Blu-ray) - First viewing - Average 'dance' movie which featured some above average 3D. Reasonable depth and some fitting pop-outs. Good enough that I've just ordered the fourth in the series which is also in 3D. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 26 Dec 2013 04:43

MEN IN BLACK 3 (US blu-ray) - second viewing: 7.5/10

My second viewing didn't change my rating of my first viewing. It's slightly better than the sequel but the "time-travel" plot makes this third installment feel like a re-hash of other similar (and better) films. It reminds me of Back to the Future, which I don't like.

In my book, the redeeming features are: Boris the Animal (such a disgusting alien!), the gagdets and vehicles and virtually all the special and visual effects :)
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Samuel_Scott » 26 Dec 2013 13:01

Davy_Lee wrote:MEN IN BLACK 3 (US blu-ray) - second viewing: 7.5/10

I expected this to be a complete mess considering they were filming without a finished story, but it all tied up reasonably well. I recommend the 3D version.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 26 Dec 2013 17:07

Samuel_Scott wrote: I expected this to be a complete mess considering they were filming without a finished story, but it all tied up reasonably well. I recommend the 3D version.

I don't have any 3D blu-rays as I am not into 3D gimmicks. The thought of having to upgrade my home theater equipment to be able to watch 3D blu-rays has never crossed my mind. Besides, I consider myself sort of a conservative, old-school film fan, Sam :lol:
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 27 Dec 2013 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 26 Dec 2013 17:46

LIFEFORCE - Theatrical Cut (US blu-ray) - first viewing: 7/10

Watched it once on video in the mid-80s and liked it. Then on the non-anamorphic MGM dvd in 2005 but didn't find it as good as I thought.

I watched the extended cut few days ago, and couldn't rate it higher than 7. While watching the theatrical cut, I tried to spot the differences but couldn't exactly discern what footage was missing. One thing I've noticed is that the theatrical cut has a tighter pacing than the extended cut.

Both cuts are almost identical, though the theatrical cut is marginally better. For first time viewers, I suggest they watch the theatrical cut first.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 28 Dec 2013 19:42, edited 4 times in total.

Davy_Lee

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Dec 2013 00:28

300 (UK Blu-ray) - fourth viewing? - I hated this film the first time I saw it, but every time I've seen it since I've liked it more and more. So much so, it might even break into my top 10 of 2000-2009. 9/10

Unknown (UK Blu-ray) - second viewing - http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3044 - If you enjoyed Neeson in Taken, then you'll enjoy this IMO. The supporting cast, especially Diane Kruger, are also well selected. 8/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 28 Dec 2013 00:01

Today's viewings:

Mask Maker (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3046 - Not a bad cast for a low budget slasher, and a couple of nice cameos, but my god, it was slow. 4/10

Alien (UK Blu-ray) - tenth viewing??? - Such a great movie. Still holds up after all this time. 10/10

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (streamed rental) - first viewing - Not quite 'back of the net', but certainly very funny. Loved Colm Meaney in this. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 28 Dec 2013 19:29

DAREDEVIL - Director's Cut (UK blu-ray) - first viewing: 7.5/10

I remember not really liking it when I first watched the theatrical cut because it was rather slow and not as spectacular as other super hero films. I gave it a second chance and tried the director's cut on dvd several years ago. Just watched it again on blu-ray. To me, this film will appeal more to adult viewers than teenagers.

PREDATOR - Ultimate Hunter Edition (Japanese blu-ray) - first viewing: 10/10

One of my favorite films. Watched it once on video and once at the cinema in '87, and several times on dvd - both the standard and special edition. Despite the repeat viewings, this still holds my attention :)

Davy_Lee

Postby Samuel_Scott » 29 Dec 2013 00:18

Davy, the DC of Daredevil is indeed far superior... unfortunately Elektra is still sub-par IIRC. Not seen it since the DVD release. As for Predator, I viewed the French Blu a couple of weeks back. Great film, but we need a decent transfer.

Today's viewings:

Storage 24 (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - I like Noel Clarke and Laura Haddock, but this didn't do it for me. Kind of a poor man's Attack the Block, but without the humour and the horror, and set in a crappy storage facility. 4/10

Aliens (UK Blu-ray) - tenth viewing? - The sequel is every bit as good as the first, but I can't compare them. This is less about tension, and more of an adrenaline pumping film. 10/10

Bait (UK 3D Blu-ray) - first viewing - http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3047 - I dug the 3D here, and in general the A/V is spotty dog. I've a bit of a soft spot for creature features, so probably liked it more than most would. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Paul_Lewis » 29 Dec 2013 01:04

Been watching nothing but childrens' films all Christmas. I'm on an animation overload :D

PLANES is better than I expected, but still no great shakes.

I watched BATTLE OF THE DAMNED (Chris Hatton, 2013), which was fun (Dolph Lundgren + zombies + robots) but largely forgettable. (Review is on the front page.)

Last night, I revisited 'Return Flight', from the BBC's 1972 DEAD OF NIGHT series - released on DVD by the BFI last year. I'd seen this one before, via a grotty VHS recording, but many years ago, and thought it to be the weakest of the three surviving episodes. This time, I found it quite creepy and unsettling, with some interesting ideas. I probably enjoyed it more than 'A Woman Sobbing' but not as much as 'Exorcism'.
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 29 Dec 2013 19:04

Watched 1492: Conquest of Paradise the other night, been a long time since I'd seen it, and it was pretty much as I remembered it, really solid film, one of Ridley Scott's most underrated films. It really needs a great special edition Blu-ray treatment with lots and lots of extras...
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 30 Dec 2013 00:19

Bangkok Bound (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Yawn. Standard b-movie starring Tom Arnold and Bai Ling. Not worth hunting down or picking up cheap. 3/10

4.3.2.1 (UK Blu-ray) - second viewing - I have to admit, I like Noel Clarke's style of filmmaking, and I like his characters. He still needs to tighten up the dialogue a bit, but I think he has more to give yet. Not as good as Kidulthood or Adulthood though. 6/10

The Five-Year Engagement (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - I enjoyed this. Some genuinely amusing moments and Emily Blunt and Jason Segal work off each other really well. The only real problem was that it was about 20 minutes too long. 6/10

Alien 3 (UK Blu-ray) - tenth viewing? - Vastly underrated and every bit as good as Alien and Aliens. Sorry, but I love it. *runs for cover* 10/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 31 Dec 2013 00:24

Alien Resurrection (UK Blu-ray) - Probably underrated because of how good the rest of the series is. It is a big step down in quality, but still worthwhile IMO. 7/10

The Veteran (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Not a bad thriller. Toby Kebbell held the lead well, and always good to see Brian Cox no matter how small the role. Ending came out of nowhere for me. 6/10

Wanderlust (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - So many people hated this, but I think they were expecting more crudish humour than what was here. Glad I picked this one up. 7/10

Ricky Gervais Live IV: Science (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - Most comedians have great stand-up routines and crap TV shows, but I think Gervais' humour does wear a little by the end. Still funny, but I much prefer his TV shows. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Paul_Lewis » 31 Dec 2013 00:32

SCHALKEN THE PAINTER (1979). Revisited this one via the BFI Blu, which I bought a month or two ago but didn't get round to watching until last night. I'd seen this before, via a poor quality videotape recording, and had forgotten how unsettling this is whilst showing very little. It also works as a handy primer on Dutch painting :D
'I ran out of ambition at the age of 27': Peter Cook.
Paul_Lewis
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 31 Dec 2013 12:16

Watched today Bangkok Dangerous (2008) with Nick Cage (on Blu). I gotta tell ya, there're bad movies, truly terrible ones, and there's BD 2008.
I'm speechless how awful and pointless it is... It must be the ultimate crap of all times! :lol:
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Samuel_Scott » 01 Jan 2014 01:30

Batman (UK Blu-ray) - I'm not a huge fan of Tim Burton, and this did feel surprisingly dated, but it's a solid film, and helped pave the way for more superhero movies. 8/10

Cleanskin (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - I'm a fan of Sean Bean, and still hope he will get similar roles in bigger films than this. This was a solid terrorism thriller, but the last few years have thrown out so many of them it feels formulaic. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 01 Jan 2014 12:19

Batman (UK Blu-ray) - I'm not a huge fan of Tim Burton, and this did feel surprisingly dated, but it's a solid film, and helped pave the way for more superhero movies. 8/10

Never liked it. Only Nolan made me like Batman. And those old movies are a joke.

Cleanskin (UK Blu-ray) - first viewing - I'm a fan of Sean Bean, and still hope he will get similar roles in bigger films than this. This was a solid terrorism thriller, but the last few hours have thrown out so many of them it feels formulaic. 6/10

It's exactly how I feel about it. Too many boring cliches all around... Nothing fresh at all.
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Vincent_Bouche » 01 Jan 2014 23:34

Not much since I wan't home until a few days ago:
- Batman Begins (French Blu)
Premise of the coming masterpiece - 8/10

- Gangster Squad (TV)
Not bad, great cast, but nothing wonderful either - 6/10

- Luther: Season 3 (TV)
Not the best season, but still great! - 7/10

- Stoker (US Blu)
I must say I was expecting more from this one and got "somewhat disappointed". Good movie, with several magnificent shots, but far from the Korean masterpieces of PCW - 7/10

- Piazza Fontana (TV)
Surprisingly good crime/political Italian movie concerning an attack that took place in Italy in 1969 - 8/10.

- Grupo 7 (TV)
Spanish movie regarding a group of cops that used all necessary means to clean the city before the universal exposition in Séville in 1992. Pretty effective, but nothing special - 6/10.

- Fairy Tail: The Phoenix Priestess (French Blu, friend's disc)
Didn't expect anything and I must say it was a pretty good surprise. Not really original (I thought about Slayers several times), but good story and a good mix-up of action/drama/comedy... - 7/10

- Garden of Words (Japanese Blu, friend's disc)
Fantastic visual and soundtracks and good romance/drama story for this "short" (~45min) story. Didn't know about this director before, but I will have to see more - 8/10.
Vincent_Bouche
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Next

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion